Review: The Belko Experiment

These benefits are not worth it.

In Bogota, Columbia there is an office building on the outskirts of of the city belonging to Belko Industries. It seems just like any other day for their employees, until they notice the heightened security. They assume it's just a threat and push on. There's Mike ( John Gallagher Jr.) who's in a relationship with Leandra (Adria Arjona) Leandra has to put up with the unwanted advances of Wendell.(John C. McGinley) There's Dany (Melonie Diaz) who is just starting her first day. And then there's COO Barry (Tony Goldwyn) trying to take charge. In total, 80 people are in the Belko building today. Suddenly, a loud speaker goes off and an unknown voice informs the employees that if they don't kill a certain number of their colleagues, these people will double that.

It's impossible to ignore the political undertones of this movie. I don't think it was intentional. James Gunn wrote this film a while ago, but I couldn't help but think of Trump's America when watching it. There's the rich white guys, who literally line up people over 60 and shoot them in the head. Then there's the group of other men, women, minorities that are trying to find some other way to get out of this without killing each other. It's easy to see which group you're rooting for.

What The Belko Experiment manages to do in its less than 90 minute run time is pretty grand. It got me to care about enough of these characters even though there wasn't time to completely flesh everyone out. Nice security guard? Fuck yeah, I like him. The group of employees who welcome Dany with open arms and jokes? Please live. And of course John Gallagher Jr. I love this guy, he's great here. The acting is good all around.

It borrows heavily from others like Battle Royale and The Cabin in The Woods but it's gory fun. I'm sure you won't see another film where someone epically beats someone else to death with a tape dispenser. 

Recommended: Yes

Grade: B

Memorable Quote: "You think the government is doing this?" - Leandra (Adria Arjona)

Comments

  1. Yes! There was so much subtext here that I caught as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially when they're picking people out, omg.

      Delete
  2. Welp, f--k the other reviews. I'm in.

    My wife rolled her eyes when we saw the preview before Get Out...but I'm down. Hell, it can't be worse than Mary Poppins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think (hope) you'd like this one as much as I did. It's just a good time at the movies.

      Delete
  3. I haven't seen any reviews or trailers for it besides yours here and I'm in, I'll watch it. Partly because I also think John Gallagher Jr. is such a nice actor.. has stood out for me for numerous of his roles without really standing out, if you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do! He's really captivating, I've loved him in everything. He's got range too. I never would've expected him to play the role he did in Hush.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum