2017 Blind Spot Series: Videodrome



What I knew going in: That it was a popular body horror film. 

Max Renn (James Woods) runs a sleazy TV channel and is always on the look out for new material. He discovers a pirated tape called Videodrome which shows nonstop snuff. Max's girlfriend Nicki (Debbie Harry) wants to audition for it, and soon he's drawn into Videodrome's bigger picture.

Damn, this movie is weird. 

Director David Cronenberg was put on my radar with A History of Violence. Then he made Eastern Promises which is one of my favorite movies of all time. I've been meaning to go backwards in his filmography for a while and Videodrome is the one that gets mentioned the most. I can definitely see where some of his ideas for History of Violence at least came from. 

James Woods is naturally a creepy fucker so his casting is spot on. I really appreciate that Cronenberg didn't show a bunch of sexual violence. So many other horror directors would've taken the opportunity to go over the top with it and he didn't. With it's reputation with body horror, I was expecting a bit more of that, but what was in there did not disappoint.

I'm glad I finally watched this. It was a perfect way to start my October.

Recommended: Yes

Grade: B

Memorable Quote: "Long live the new flesh." - Max Renn (James Woods)


Comments

  1. Still my favorite David Cronenberg film. It is so fucked up and I love every second of it. His earlier films are more interesting all the way to Naked Lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw it years back and really liked it but that was before I knew Woods' antics in real life. Cronenberg really made a whole bunch of weird films in 80s and 90s EasternP and History are shockingly normal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I make my way through his earlier stuff I have to agree with that. lol

      Delete
  3. Yes, it's pretty fucked up but it's one of my favourites by Cronenberg. I'm glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think many would easily call it his best film... it's weird like all stuff he did before switching from body horror to mind horror (which was weird too, just in a different way)! I enjoyed all his movies that I've watched so far (I guess about 40%...) with History of Violence being my favourite, even not so popular Maps to the Stars had some very curious moments and performances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked Maps too. Cosmopolis is the only film of his I flat out disliked.

      Delete
  5. I love this movie. Like you say, it's weird, but in such a good way.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum