Review: Detective Pikachu

Gotta catch 'em all.

Tim Goodman (Justice Smith) is an insurance salesman who is called to Ryme City because of the mysterious death of his detective father. They've been estranged for some time, so Tim isn't thrilled with the prospect of collecting his things. Then he finds his father's Pokemon Partner, Pikachu (Ryan Reynolds) who was supposed to have been dead alongside him. Even more curious, Tim can understand what he says. Now they are forced to try to solve this case together. 

I wasn't a fan of Pokemon growing up, but I was familiar enough with it. They're currently my son's newest obsession so of course we found ourselves in this. The nice thing about it is that you don't need to know the ins and outs of Pokemon to enjoy this movie. There's surprisingly very little fan service. I was expecting far more references to the obvious things. Maybe there were more subtle ones I didn't catch.

Ryme City is a city where humans and Pokemon live side by side, vs everywhere else were they are still in the wild and that's the coolest part of the movie. I like how easily the Pokemon were integrated into society there. When the film starts moving away from that, that's where they start losing steam.

Justice Smith is good, and while I wasn't thrilled with Reynold's voice as Pikachu I did eventually get use to it, but the acting everywhere else was really inconsistent. Poor Ken Wantanbe is here to stare off into the distance again, and everyone else is over acting their parts. 

I wasn't expecting a strong story so I still had fun with this. The second half gives Crimes of Grindlewald a run for its money in the exposition department but it's not enough to stop myself from enjoying this. It makes for a fun matinee at the movies.

Recommended: Yes

Grade: B

Memorable Quote: "I'm actually pretty good at being alone at night." - Tim (Justice Smith)

Comments

  1. Ahh I'm glad you still had some fun with this despite not being a Pokemon fan - I hope your Son loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He did! But he was sad there wasn't a lot of Evee.

      Delete
  2. I'm not expecting great things but I hope Reynolds shouts a lot like in the trailer, that "GET ME THE HELL OUT OF HERE!" coming out of this adorable fluffy thing was hilarious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He doesn't really shout too much. He mostly does his Deadpool thing. lol

      Delete
  3. I have never been into Pokemon although I might watch it because of Ryan Reynolds as Pikachu. Pikachu is so adorable. Plus, I love South Park's parody in Chinpokomon. HEY KIDS, YOU LIKE CHINPOKOMON!!! THEN YOU'LL LIKE.... ALABAMA MAN!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. omg I forgot about Chinpokomon! I still need to watch the most recent season of South Park. It's all on my DVR, I just haven't gotten to it.

      Delete
  4. I loved Reynolds tbh but I’m glad you enjoyed the film even though you’re not a Pokémon fan

    ReplyDelete
  5. My niece was a big fan of Pokeman but i never even knew what it was all about. I probably will pass on this one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you can enjoy it even if you're not a fan, but I get the lack of interest for not being familiar with it.

      Delete
  6. Everyone is seeming to like this one! I'm gonna see it for the nostalgia value, and that it seems to be just an enjoyable film full stop from what I've read here and elsewhere

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's cute and definitely worth the watch. I would've liked to have seen what Danny DeVito did with Pikachu's voice though, apparently it was between him and Reynolds.

      Delete
  7. Not a Pokemon fan, so usually I wouldn't go to see it, but my nephews are huge fans and they have been begging me to go ever since they found out about the movie, so I guess I will have to go watch it :) It seems, from my review, I won't be too bored

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll be fine, it's amusing enough without being a fan.

      Delete
  8. I kinda push back on Pokemon so I'm not sure if this is the movie for me. But it does seem to be getting good reactions by most I've read from or talked to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might work as a DVD watch for you if you're not sure.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum