2022 Golden Globe Winners

 


The Award Show That Shall Not Be Named except in the title decided its best course of action after getting booted by NBC was not to stream their event, not to release a list of winners all at once, but to announce each winner one by one with a cringy tweet. They weren't even saying what some people even won for, which I'm sure casual awards season watchers loved. It was stupid, but I did 15/25 with my picks. Here's the list of winners + some quick thoughts.

Best Motion Picture - Drama
Belfast
CODA
Dune
King Richard
The Power of the Dog
I'm glad this came out on top. I wasn't so sure after Screenplay was announced, but it's what I hope will win Best Picture at the Oscars. 

Best Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
Cyrano
Don’t Look Up
Licorice Pizza
tick, tick...BOOM!
West Side Story
This was an easy win for them. I really hope I can find time to go to the theater and see it soon. 

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture, Drama
Jessica Chastain (“The Eyes of Tammy Faye”)
Olivia Colman (“The Lost Daughter”)
Nicole Kidman (“Being the Ricardos”)
Lady Gaga (“House of Gucci”)
Kristen Stewart (“Spencer”)
This was a big shocker to me as Kristen seemed like such a front runner, then I remember how much the Globes love celebrities and they need all the help they can get to get into good graces right now. I won't consider Kidman a huge contender unless she wins SAG too.

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy
Marion Cotillard (“Annette”)
Alana Haim (“Licorice Pizza”)
Jennifer Lawrence (“Don’t Look Up”)
Emma Stone (“Cruella”)
Rachel Zegler (“West Side Story”)
I love it when new actresses win, so even though I haven't seen her performance yet, I'm happy for her. 

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture, Drama
Mahershala Ali (“Swan Song”)
Javier Bardem (“Being the Ricardos”)
Benedict Cumberbatch (“The Power of the Dog”)
Will Smith (“King Richard”)
Denzel Washington (“The Tragedy of Macbeth”)
I feel like this is a similar case to Kidman. Will Smith is a huge star, so them fawning over him instead of Cumberbatch, who I thought would win makes sense. Still, Smith was excellent, so even though I'm team Cumberbatch this year I'm glad he won something.

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy
Leonardo DiCaprio (“Don’t Look Up”)
Peter Dinklage (“Cyrano”)
Andrew Garfield (“tick, tick … Boom!”)
Cooper Hoffman (“Licorice Pizza”)
Anthony Ramos (“In the Heights”)
I'm happy for Garfield. There's been so much hype for him these past few months. 

Best Supporting Actress, Motion Picture
Caitriona Balfe, “Belfast”
Ariana DeBose, “West Side Story”
Kirsten Dunst, “The Power of the Dog”
Aunjanue Ellis, “King Richard”
Ruth Negga, “Passing”


Best Supporting Actor – Motion Picture
Ben Affleck (“The Tender Bar”)
Jamie Dornan (“Belfast”)
Ciarán Hinds (“Belfast”)
Troy Kotsur (“CODA”)
Kodi Smit-McPhee (“The Power of the Dog”)
I'm so happy for Kodi. I love it when younger actors win too. 

Best Original Score, Motion Picture
“The French Dispatch”  — Alexandre Desplat
“Encanto” — Germaine Franco
“The Power of the Dog”  — Jonny Greenwood
“Parallel Mothers” — Alberto Iglesias
“Dune”  — Hans Zimmer



Best Picture, Foreign Language
“Compartment No. 6”
“Drive My Car”
“The Hand of God”
“A Hero”
“Parallel Mothers”
This one will be jumping to the top of my watch list, even though it's SO long. 

Best Screenplay, Motion Picture
Licorice Pizza
Belfast
The Power of the Dog
Don’t Look Up
Being the Ricardos
This win absolutely baffles me and I liked Belfast. Power of the Dog should've won.

Best Original Song, Motion Picture
“Be Alive,” “King Richard”
“Dos Oruguitas,” “Encanto”
“Down to Joy,” “Belfast”
“Here I Am,” “Respect”
“No Time to Die,” “No Time to Die”


Best Motion Picture, Animated
“Encanto”
“Flee”
“Luca”
“My Sunny Maid”
“Raya and the Last Dragon”
I was not crazy about Encanto. I thought the songs were horrid, though I did like Mirabel, the lead character. 

Best Director, Motion Picture
Kenneth Branagh (“Belfast”)
Jane Campion (“The Power of the Dog”)
Maggie Gyllenhaal (“The Lost Daughter”)
Steven Spielberg (“West Side Story”)
Denis Villeneuve (“Dune”)
AS SHE SHOULD BE
 
Best Television Series, Drama
Lupin
The Morning Show
Pose
Squid Game
Succession
I'm very happy with this win, even though I thought they'd go with Squid Game. Season 3 was fantastic. 

Best Television Series, Musical or Comedy
The Great
Hacks
Only Murders in the Building
Reservation Dogs
Ted Lasso
I only watched a few episodes of Hacks, and I liked it. I plan on watching all of it, but over Ted Lasso? Nah. 

Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series, Drama
Brian Cox (Succession)
Lee Jung-jae (Squid Game)
Billy Porter (Pose)
Jeremy Strong (Succession)
Omar Sy (Lupin)
Strong was fantastic this season. 

Best Performance by an Actress, Limited Series, Anthology Series or a Motion Picture made for Television
Jessica Chastain (Scenes From a Marriage)
Cynthia Erivo (Genius: Aretha)
Elizabeth Olsen (WandaVision)
Margaret Qualley (Maid)
Kate Winslet (Mare of Easttown)
This was an obvious win, but I was rooting for Lizzie. 

Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series, Drama
Uzo Aduba (In Treatment)
Jennifer Aniston (The Morning Show)
Christine Baranski (The Good Fight)
Elisabeth Moss (The Handmaid’s Tale)
MJ Rodriguez (Pose)
She should've won an Emmy, but I'm glad she at least has something. Historic win for her. 


Best Television Actor, Musical / Comedy Series
Anthony Anderson, (Blackish)
Nicholas Hoult, (The Great)
Steven Martin, (Only Murders in the Building)
Martin Short, (Only Murders in the Building)
Jason Sudeikis, (Ted Lasso)

Best Supporting Actress, Television
Jennifer Coolidge, (The White Lotus)
Kaitlyn Dever, (Dopesick)
Andie MacDowell, (Maid)
Sarah Snook, (Succession)
Hannah Waddingham, (Ted Lasso)
I'm really shocked Hannah didn't win, but I can't be mad about Sarah. She's great. 

Best Actress in a TV Series, Musical or Comedy
Hannah Einbinder (Hacks)
Elle Fanning (The Great)
Issa Rae (Insecure)
Tracee Ellis Ross (Black-ish)
Jean Smart (Hacks)

Best Limited Series, Anthology Series or a Motion Picture Made for Television
Dopesick
Impeachment: American Crime Story
Maid
Mare of Easttown
The Underground Railroad
This absolutely baffles me. They weren't nominated anywhere else and came out on top here? I haven't watched this yet. I think it looks tremendous, but I was surprised. 

Best Supporting Actor, Television
Billy Crudup (The Morning Show)
Kieran Culkin (Succession)
Mark Duplass (The Morning Show)
Brett Goldstein (Ted Lasso)
Oh Yeong-su (Squid Game)


Best Performance by an Actor, Limited Series, Anthology Series or Motion Picture made for Television
Paul Bettany (WandaVision)
Oscar Isaac (Scenes From a Marriage)
Michael Keaton (Dopesick)
Ewan McGregor (Halston)
Tahar Rahim (The Serpent)

Comments

  1. I'm not even a little invested in awards season this year, but I was curious what would take it for animation. I'm right there with you on Encanto, thought it was a shockingly terrible musical, but it could've been okay without the music. Either way though, Raya was robbed. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, I hated Raya lol. Luca was who I thought was going to win.

      Delete
  2. No love for Wandavision but... then again. The Golden Globes ain't worth shit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. Wandavision is destined to just be nominatd and lose :( I hope the SAGs don't leave them out.

      Delete
  3. Some of these wins are absolutely WILD for sure. So happy for Andrew Garfield though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am too. He took a big risk with that part since he wasn't a singer.

      Delete
  4. I just don’t get why they don’t telecast this. I always loved this show and watching some get drunk before they win the award. I know the reason but ...meh...just smarten up and make sure people who truly deserve to be nominated are here and that some minorities win...when they deserve to. I have not seen Nicole as Lucy yet but...really? This seems like. Meryl Streep win because..we’ll just because. I must see the Dog movie plus some of the others here. Glad you posted everything here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised another Network didn't pick them up to be honest. They really got black listed.

      Delete
  5. I feel so removed from the awards season this year. Meh! Though I am really happy to see Andrew win. He's such an underrated actor! Also happy for Sudeikis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww that's too bad. I'm always deep in awards season lol. It's my super bowl.

      Delete
  6. I don't want to put shade on Kodi Smit-McPhee's performance at all, but I wish Troy Kotsur would have won that category. CODA is still so vividly in my mind and his performance was heartbreaking and real. Maybe this is me just being bitter that CODA is being overlooked haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Troy Kotsur's performance. If he won I wouldn't be mad at all. I still think of him signing that he likes rap music because it makes his ass vibrate.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum