Review: The Batman


Bruce Wayne (Robert Pattinson) has quietly been trying to make a difference as The Batman in Gotham. He can't be everywhere. He works closely with Lt Jim Gordon (Jeffrey Wright) and they face a puzzling crime by a masked murderer going by The Riddler. (Paul Dano) As the stakes get higher, they realize just how deep corruption runs in Gotham. 

The Batman is first and foremost a detective story. Director Matt Reeves obviously took inspiration from films like Se7en and Zodiac when he crafted this story. Se7en is one of my all time favorite films, so that worked well for me. I loved seeing Batman and Gordon work as a team. Same with Batman and Selina. (Zoe Kravitz) They ooze chemistry. As much as I love the Nolan trilogy, Christian Bale only really had good chemistry with Maggie Gyllenhaal. Here, Pattinson and Kravitz click together instantly. 

I'll admit I was worried about Pattinson as Batman. His Bruce is VERY mopey, which fits with the story. My main issue with the movie, which is admittedly petty, is how Bruce treats Alfred. (Andy Serkis) Serkis' Alfred is very intriguing and I wish we would've gotten more of him, but Bruce owes him several apologies, a raise, a hug, and a long vacation. The thing about Bruce, is he's barely in it. We mostly see him as The Batman and there is where Pattinson soars. 

Being a huge Paul Dano fan, I was the most excited to see him and he doesn't disappoint. His Riddler is the best version of the character I've seen in live action and it's not even close. He's a meticulous psychopath with an army of incels online. Dano's a tall dude, so his stature is brooding, especially under the mask, but when you take it off and see his boyish face, it's even more unsettling. I loved his performance. 

At nearly 3 hours, I didn't feel the run time. I was entirely engrossed in what was happening and I can't wait to see this again. So is it for you? If you're a Batman fan, absolutely. Even if you're not and you love a good detective story, I highly recommend it.

Grade: A

Comments

  1. I’m glad to hear that Pattinson does a credible job as Batman because I have reservations. I love Alfred so I. Sorry to hear how little the character is in the film. This is one I want to see for sure,

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a ball watching this film despite the need to go to the bathroom later on. Still, I had fun as Robert Pattinson is incredible. While I may have Michael Keaton as my Batman with Christian Bale a close second. Pattinson can rest comfortably being in a close third as I wouldn't mind seeing those 3 do a film together. 3 great Batmans in one film. Plus, we gotta show some love to the late, great Adam West.

    Yes, Pattinson and Kravitz just clicked and they were fun to watch and I can't believe the awful things they said about Kravitz being "too urban" to play Catwoman. Well fuck them racist assholes! She fucking KILLED it! With apologizes to Queen Anne and Michelle Pfeiffer, Kravitz is my Catwoman. She just had that sense of charisma and charm and... oh looked so damn good in that catsuit.

    And with all due respect to the late, great Frank Gorshin who played the Riddler in the 1966 movie and the TV show, Paul Dano is the definitive version of the Riddler. He was quite chilling in the mask and costume but... he was even scarier in that ordinary look he had as if he channeled Eli Sunday from There Will Be Blood but in a more terrifying way if Eli wasn't a pussy-whip for Daniel Plainview. I think it's time for Mr. Dano to get his Oscar.

    Now I want that sequel and I'd like to give a shout-out to Gil-Perez Abraham as one of the good cops in the film in that scene for just being one of the few smart characters in the film and realizing what the Riddler is doing as he's like "oh fuck Batman! We gotta save this town!"

    It's one of the little things in the film that I like in showing that even regular people including good regular cops aren't presented as morons. Even the Penguin as Colin Farrell deserves love for making him an interesting guy but also someone who isn't a moron.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they can fuck right off with "too urban" Bale is my favorite Batman, with Keaton in second, but I'd also put Pattinson in third, though I do like Affleck's version of Bruce a little more than Pattinson's, but that could change after the next movie.

      Delete
  3. Bale is still my fave Batman but Pattinson is close to being my 2nd fave now. I agree that the 3-hour runtime actually didn't feel as long as I had feared. I'm glad I didn't need to go to the bathroom during that time too, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I would've been mad if I missed anything. I can't wait to see this again!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum