Review: Asteroid City


We watch as a fictional play rolls out about a widower, Augie (Jason Schwartzman) and his children as they go to a small town called Asteroid City for his son Woodrow (Jake Ryan) is receiving an award for his scientific achievements. 

That is a very bare bones description because you know how stacked Wes Anderson's casts are. I could write 1000 words just naming everyone. His latest brings his bright, quirky aesthetic to a small desert town. As usual, his films are gorgeous. I can't help but feel happy when I look at them.

The standout actors for me where Schwartzman and Scarlett Johansson, who plays a famous actress with a daughter who is also being honored for her science projects. The two of them spend the majority of the film conversing back and forth through the windows of their rented cottages, and those are easily the best parts of the film. 

I'm not sure if this movie needed to be based on a play. Even though Bryan Cranston makes a great narrator, the play scenes were never as strong as what was going on in Asteroid City, with the exception of a great moment Margot Robbie has late in the film. I suppose I can see why it needed to be a play, Anderson doesn't really make sci-fi films, but I just don't think it added much.

While Moonrise Kingdom still reigns supreme as my favorite Anderson, Asteroid City is certainly up towards the top for me now. Even with its flaws, it was a lovely watch.

Grade: B+

Comments

  1. Yes! Every time we broke for Cranston (who is awesome, but still)...it didn't matter as much. It was interesting (and...neat/quirky/silly) but not all that important.

    I liked it, loved looking at it, but had almost zero emotional response.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I ever have emotional responses to Wes' movies other than enjoyment now that I think of it. lol

      Delete
  2. Love reading this. I really went for this one too and I'm already looking forward to seeing it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It was so lovely. I can't wait to watch it again as well.

      Delete
  3. I really enjoyed this one a lot as I love the look of it and its offbeat presentation. Plus, please have Scarlett be a regular for Wes Anderson as she just fits in like a glove. That scene with Margot Robbie is awesome as I don't mind seeing her do another film for Wes. It is such a fun film and better than his last one which I liked though it was messy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I definitely prefer this to French Dispatch. This one is going to be an easy favorite.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum