Review: Rub Rabbit Run


Sarah (Sarah Snook) is a single mother who is going through the grief of losing her father, and having to deal with her estranged mother entering a nursing home. Her daughter Mia (Lily LaTorre) stars exhibiting strange behaviors that are bringing up some dark memories from Sarah's past.

I was looking forward to this when it was at Sundance, then it came out with mostly awful reviews. Still, when Netflix picked it up and dropped it this week, I still wanted to see it. After all, Snook has been killing it on Succession. I wanted to see her in her native Aussie accent.

If there's one thing Run Rabbit Run gets right, it's the unsettling atmosphere. Sarah is going through a lot and there's always something creepy doing on. You keep waiting for the other shoe to drop. Unfortunately all that goodwill is squandered by it's muddled ending. I really wanted to support director Daina Reid. Though seeing as she also directed an episode of The Outsider, can I really be surprised at where this film went?

This is a film that doesn't know what it wants to be. Is it a ghost story? A prolonged mental heath breakdown? It keeps critical information close to its chest until the very last second, and it makes it even more frustrating because so many of the issues between Sara and Mia could've been solved with a single conversation. 

Sarah Snook is great, of course. It's fun watching her play a character that is so unlike Shiv. Lily LaTorre plays a good angry kid. She was also in The Clearing, which I have been watching, so it was fun to see her pop up here too.

While this isn't a great watch, it's on Netflix if you're curious and it's under 2 hours. So at least there's that.

Grade: C

Comments

  1. I haven't heard anything good about this, so I can't say that this makes me want to watch it any more than I already did (or didn't).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a real shame because I don't see too many Aussie films anymore.

      Delete
  2. I'm still curious about it though I think I'll go in with low expectations despite the fact that I don't have access to Netflix right now because of the stupid password sharing thing that Netflix has banned and my sister refuses to pay for these new things from Netflix. My mom doesn't bother watching Netflix as she has discovered Amazon Prime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had Netflix the longest and I can't bring myself to cancel it when I'm not actively using it for some reason. It's annoying lol.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum