Review: A Family Affair


Official synopsis:
 An unexpected romance triggers comic consequences for a young woman (Joey King), her mother, (Nicole Kidman) and her boss, (Zac Efron) grappling with the complications of love, sex, and identity.

Earlier this year Amazon Prime gave us another age gap rom com with The Idea of You. Now, Netflix is doing the same with A Family Affair. Only this time instead of a famous singer, Efron is a famously out of touch actor, with King as his assistant and Kidman as her writer mother.

I have to say based on some reviews I read on letterboxd I was expecting this to be awful, but it was just fine. It's a typical rom com. Not something you spend theater money on, but a perfectly watchable film at home. I was somewhat compelled by the love affair between Brooke and Chris. Mostly because we're given enough backstory on both to make you wonder if it could truly work. The biggest downfall of the film is King's Zara. She's an incredibly selfish character who throws tantrums instead of just explaining her feelings calmly. I feel bad for King, who is a good actress getting stuck with a character written so poorly. At one point, her friend tells her "The only thing you're good at is snacks." and that rings very true.

It's fine. I'll probably never watch it again, but it got a few laughs out of me and I haven't been able to go to the theater this week to watch anything. So it's doing its job of tiding me over.

Grade: C

Comments

  1. I'll never see this probably since I don't have Netflix and find that Kidman woman totally risible. I like Zac Efron and the quality of his last few projects seems to indicate he's either gotten a new agent or become more discriminating in his choices which is good to see. Even if this is nothing special there for a while he was aiming at the lowest common denominator.

    On a totally separate tack. I've been keeping an eye out for your Blind Spot posts and unless I missed them I didn't see any in May or June. I hope you haven't stopped doing them, I enjoy reading what you think of the various films. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't! I'm going to end up having to use more alternates then I expected. I was in Europe for a week, then my son's sports schedule has been dominating my evenings. I'm behind, but hopefully not for long.

      Delete
    2. This comment is for Joel, hope you're well! I miss seeing you around FlixChatter... but glad you're still checking out my friends' posts ;-)

      Delete
  2. I don't think I'll watch this. Joey King needs a new agent. She needs to stay away from this Netflix garbage. Do small roles for directors with some prestige and work her way to be taken seriously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does (even though I stand by The Princess being awesome)

      Delete
  3. I didn't hate this one though it's not something I'd ever watch again either. Yep, the biggest downfall of the film is King's Zara who's just so unlikable. Plus I never care for her after seeing one of those stupid Kissing Booth movie, ugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never had to suffer through The Kissing Both. I can blissfully just go back to her amazing turn in The Act.

      Delete
  4. Ever heard of this and I don't have Netflix so...oh well. Lol

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum

Indie Gems: Behind The Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon

Please join me in my Favorite Movie Titles Blogathon!