2012 was a good year for movies, much better than 2011. Here's a list of my Top 10 films of the year (including runner ups, because there were many) and my 5 Worst films I have seen this year.
Let's start with the best: My Top 10 Movies of 2012
1)The Dark Knight Rises This movie was destined to be my favorite of the year. I loved everything about it. Christopher Nolan does not make a typical comic book movie. He makes it dark, real, and interesting. It was going to be hard to top Heath Ledger's performance in The Dark Knight, but Rises came as close as it could get.
2) Silver Linings Playbook I loved this movie so much that I just wanted to scream about it when I left. Who would've thought that you could leave a movie about suffering and mental illness on a feel-good note?
3) Argo I was surprised at how much I loved this. I knew the story, but Ben Affleck made me worry for the characters and kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time. That's how you tell a story based on a true story. Argo is spectacular.
4) Looper Rian Johnson re-teaming with Joseph Gordon-Levitt is a dream come true for Brick lovers. They gave us a movie that was anything but average. Looper stands out from other sci fi movies for being so different and surprising. Needless to say, I will rage if Johnson does not get a Best Original Screenplay nod at the Oscars.
5)Moonrise Kingdom Take it from someone that doesn't love Wes Anderson as much as her friends do: Moonrise Kingdom was adorable. While there were some completely random moments in there, I'm always a sucker for young love told in a different light. (See: Let The Right One In)
6)Django Unchained Oh Quentin Tarantino, you've done it again. You are wonderful.
7)The Master I can't forget the powerhouse performances that were Philip Seymour-Hoffman, Joaquin Phoenix, and Amy Adams that were The Master. This film lingers in my mind. I'll watch movies that are completely unrelated, yet something will remind me of The Master.
8)Seven Psychopaths I'm surprised at the lack of awards recognition this film is getting. It was hilarious and Sam Rockwell stole every scene that he was in. The cast, all around was perfect.
9) The Avengers This was a damn good time at the movies. Avengers may not have had as much substance as TDKR, but it had plenty of laughs, great lines, and lots of super hero awesomeness. I have so much fun watching this.
10) The Cabin In The Woods This is the best horror movie I've seen in ages. It's so self aware, but turns into something so original. I cannot recommend this movie enough to everybody.
21 Jump Street (fucking hilarious)
Beasts of the Southern Wild (Beautiful music)
Les Miserables (Great cast)
Lincoln (again, great cast)
Bernie (Jack Black is fabulous in this)
Take This Waltz (Loved Michelle Williams and Seth Rogan)
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (Shut up, this movie was fucking hysterical)
The 5 Worst films of 2012. Please note, I tend to avoid things that look terrible, but for one reason or another, I was stuck sitting through these:
1) The Dictator Sacha Baron Cohen is a talented comedian, you wouldn't know it by this mess of a film. The best joke in the movie is about name pronunciation. That just shows you how bad the rest of it was.
2) Magic Mike Sorry everyone, I wanted to love mostly naked dudes as much as the next person, but this movie sucked. The direction was awkward, the story went from ok to terrible, in fact. I didn't even finish it. It just kept getting worse.
3) The Lucky One Seriously, fuck Nicholas Sparks and his sappy and predictable novels. Also never cast Zac Efron as a marine ever again.
4) Friends With Kids This is the movie version of false advertising. "It's different" they said. "Not like all the other romantic comedies" they said. Wrong, wrong, and wrong.
5) The Amazing Spiderman I feel a little bad putting this movie on my worst list, but I honestly can't think of anything else. This movie was terribly boring and mediocre and it makes me never want to see anyone but Tobey Maguire in Spiderman's suit ever again. It's a shame when you love the director and the actors involved, and you still get nothing from it.