2015 Screen Actors Guild Nominations


Here's a list of the 2015 SAG nominations! I'm actually kind of surprised by a lot of things. Let's get to it. My thoughts as always follow in green.

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role
Steve Carell - Foxcatcher
Benedict Cumberbatch - The Imitation Game
Jake Gyllenhaal - Nightcrawler
Michael Keaton - Birdman
Eddie Redmaybe - The Theory of Everything
I'm so psyched Gyllenhaal got in there. I think this is how the Oscars will look too, he's still the wild card as Oyelowo could sneak in for Selma. (which wasn't released in time for enough people to see it here.)

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role
Jennifer Aniston - Cake
Felicity Jones - The Theory of Everything
Julianne Moore - Still Alice
Rosamund Pike - Gone Girl
Reese Witherspoon - Wild
Rosamund!! She's my favorite here. I'm kind of surprised to see Aniston. I was thinking Cotillard would get in.

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role
Robert Duvall - The Judge
Ethan Hawke - Boyhood
Edward Norton - Birdman
Mark Ruffalo - Foxcatcher
J.K. Simmons - Whiplash
Robert Duvall? Really?

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role
Patricia Arquette - Boyhood
Keira Knightley - The Imitation Game
Emma Stone - Birdman
Meryl Streep - Into The Woods
Naomi Watts - St. Vincent
Did not know Naomi Watts was in St. Vincent. I would've expected her for Birdman. I'm still holding out hope for Carrie Coon for Oscars. 

Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture
Birdman
Boyhood
The Grand Budapest Hotel
The Imitation Game
The Theory of Everything
Did anyone actually predict The Imitation Game and Theory of Everything being in here? I sure as hell didn't. I'm rooting for Birdman, but it's nice to see Grand Budpest in there. That movie was weird as fuck, but the cast is great.


Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Television Movie or Miniseries
Adrien Brody - Houdini
Benedict Cumberbatch - Sherlock: His Last Vow
Richard Jenkins - Olive Kitteridge
Mark Ruffalo - The Normal Heart
Billy Bob Thorton - Fargo
No Martin Freeman. *sighs*

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Television Movie or Miniseries
Ellen Burstyn - Flowers in the Attic
Maggie Gyllenhaal - The Honorable Woman
Frances McDormand - Olive Kitterage
Julia Roberts - The Normal Heart
Cicely Tyson - The Trip To Bountiful

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Drama Series
Steve Buscemi - Boardwalk Empire
Peter Dinklage - Game of Thrones
Woody Harrelson - True Detective
Matthew McConaughey - True Detective
Kevin Spacey - House of Cards
I think this is McConaughey's to win, unless they get sentimental and give it to Buscemi. There's no Cranston stopping him now! (Does anyone else miss Breaking Bad?)

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Drama Series 
Claire Danes - Homeland
Viola Davis - How To Get Away With Murder
Julianna Margulies - The Good Wife
Tatiana Maslany - Orphan Black
Maggie Smith - Downton Abbey
Robing Wright - House of Cards

Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Comedy Series
Ty Burrell - Modern Family
Louis C.K - Louie
William H. Macy - Shameless
Jim Parsons - The Big Bang Theory
Eric Stonestreet - Modern Family
I never tire of seeing Louis C.K get nominated for things.

Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Comedy Series
Uzo Aduba - Orange is the New Black
Julie Bowen - Modern Family
Edie Falco - Nurse Jackie
Julia Louis-Dreyfus - Veep 
Amy Poehler - Parks and Recreation
Oh look, GUEST actress Aduba for OITNB. That was so stupid. I'm happy for her, but OITNB was petty in the way they submitted their actresses for the Emmys.

Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series
Boardwalk Empire
Downton Abbey
Game of Thrones
Homeland
House of Cards
Please give this to Game of Thrones. You never do!

Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series
The Big Bang Theory
Brooklyn Nine Nine
Modern Family
Orange is the New Black 
Veep 

Outstanding Action Performance by a Stunt Ensemble in a Motion Picture
Fury
Get On Up
The Hobbit: Battle of the Five Armies
Unbroken
X-Men: Days of Future Past
Get On Up must have had some serious stunts. Like, better than Captain American 2: The Winter Soldier. 

Outstanding Action Performance by a Stunt Ensemble in a Comedy or Drama Series 
24: Live Another Day
Boardwalk Empire
Game of Thrones
Homeland
Sons of Anarchy
The Walking Dead

Comments

  1. Great post and comments! When I read the nominees, this morning, I had similar reactions.

    -Shocked and ecstatic at Gyllenhaal's inclusion. He and Keaton are the only two of the nominees that I've seen, thus far, but he rocked it!
    -Didn't really know anyone cared about The Judge???
    -Totally shocked that Watts was nominated for St. Vincent. She was good in the film but in the same way that Collin Farrell was good in Horrible Bosses...
    -I'm pretty sure that OITNB was contractually obligated to place Aduba in the guest actress category for season 1, which is what was considered for the 2014 Emmys. This nomination is indicative of her work in season 2, which bodes well for her chances as a supporting actress at the 2015 Emmys. You may have been aware of all of that, but I just wanted to throw my two cents/excitement in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, that's right. This is for S2. That always throws me off because the Emmys were only a few months ago and they were for S1. I hate that.

      I didn't see St. Vincent, I can't stand Melissa McCarthey, but maybe I'll throw it in my Netflix queue or something.

      I didn't think anyone cared about The Judge either.

      Delete
    2. McCarthy was actually really good in St. Vincent! She went away from her usual, stupid character. I actually enjoyed her performance quite a bit, if that makes you feel any better! ha

      Delete
    3. That does a little! I've been sour ever since she got an Oscar nom for Bridesmaids. Nothing about that performance was Oscar worthy.

      Delete
  2. Happy to see Birdman, Rosamund Pike, and Jake Gyllenhaal get nominated - especially Rosamund since Gone Girl isn't on everyone's top lists so far. I would've liked Laura Dern in the Best Supporting character somewhere since I think she is going to be worth it in Wild...but other than that, not too bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was worried about Gone Girl falling to the side as well, but this is great for that film. Pike is so deserving.

      Delete
  3. Oyelowo is in with Oscar. His film is easily in the Top three for BP, and the only reason he's not here is because his film didn't screen in time. Gyllenhaal is a darkhorse for the nom though. The love for his performance is persistent, and his film is doing better than initially expected. Still, this is AMPAS we're talking about, so I'm not sold on him yet.

    That Watts nod is...telling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to be so disappointed if Gyllenhaal is left out. As much as I loved Birdman, he was better than Keaton. Simple as that. He deserves to be there.

      Delete
  4. I kind of really wish I had seen more of these nominees. But I'm pretty proud that I've seen 4/5 of the ensemble nominees. I love seeing Grand Budapest here, so well deserved. Jennifer Aniston and Naomi Watts seem pretty random (especially Watts) but I'm pretty happy with everything here overall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read any reviews of Cake yet. They only blip of it I've seen was Anna Kendrick raving about Aniston on Instagram. I don't know anything else about it.

      Delete
  5. It's nice to see Gyllenhaal's performance not go unrecognized. Hopefully this'll continue as we get deeper into the awards season. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ruffy! :P I just want him to be nominated everywhere. So happy for Carell too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of you immediately when I heard Ruffalo's name. Let's hope he has a good turn out at the Globes too!

      Delete
  7. Yay on Mark Ruffalo, glad he got in instead of Channing Tatum as personally he's the only character I sympathized with. No surprise on Carell though, and yay again on Michael Keaton! But Duvall, Aniston, what? what??

    Hmmm, I might post my own thoughts on this later this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine Tatum actually getting nominated for anything. He's a very limited actor.

      Delete
  8. lol i can't remember any stunts in get on up. i desperately want to see nightcrawler. happy for Uzo! not sure why freeman wasn't nominated for fargo. he was great on that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Freeman was excellent in Fargo. I really really bothers me that the SAGs don't have separate supporting categories. He'd be there for sure, because Billy Bob would be supporting.

      I hope you see Nightcrawler soon! Sooooo good.

      Delete
  9. I think Gyllenhaal will probably just miss at the Oscars, in favor of Carell, Cumberbatch, Keaton, Oyelowo and Redmayne. If he gets a BAFTA nod, then I can't see him missing, but I doubt the Brits will recognize Nightcrawler for anything. Of course, Foxcatcher could be too much for some Academy voters, which would only benefit Gyllenhaal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best Actor is the race I'm most interested in this year because I really don't want Gyllenhaal to miss. Normally I wouldn't think BAFTA would bite either, but Gyllenhaal has won there before, so maybe that could help.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum