2016 Golden Globe Nominations + my thoughts

And the award for worst live stream goes too....

Seriously, the HFPA needed to sort their live stream out. I couldn't hear half of these. Here's a list of the 2016 Golden Globe nominations. There was a few great surprises here, and some eye rollers as well. My thoughts follow in green.

Best TV Series - Comedy or Musical
Casual 
Mozart in the Jungle 
Orange Is the New Black 
Silicon Valley 
Transparent 
Veep 
Two of these I haven't heard of, Two are not comedies, and the other two are Veep and Silicon Valley which are very deserving of their spot. 


Best Actress in a TV Series - Comedy
Rachel Bloom- Crazy Ex Girlfriend 
Jamie Lee Curtis- Scream Queens 
Lily Tomlin - Grace and Frankie 
Julia Louis-Dreyfus - Veep 
Gina Rodriquez - Jane the Virgin 
I've only seen Veep so JLD forever. 


Best Actor in a TV Series - Comedy
Aziz Ansari - Master of None
Gael García Bernal - Mozart in the Jungle
Rob Lowe - The Grinder
Patrick Stewart - Blunt Talk
Jeffrey Tambor - Transparent
It's cool to see Aziz here. I'm sure this is Tambor's to lose. I think Rob Lowe is a douche, though I haven't seen The Grinder, nor have I ever heard of it. Still a douche. 


Best TV Limited Series/Motion Picture
American Crime 
American Horror Story: Hotel 
Fargo 
Flesh and Bone 
Wolf Hall 
Yay Fargo!


Best Actress in a Limited Series/TV Movie
Kirsten Dunst - Fargo 
Lady Gada - American Horror Story: Hotel 
Sarah Hay - Flesh and Bone 
Felicity Huffman - American Crime 
Queen Latifah - Bessie 
Kirsten Dunst is so good in Fargo even though I hate her character with a passion. I'm happy to see her here. Of course the HFPA gave into the Gaga hype. 


Best Supporting Actress in a Series, Limited Series or TV Movie
Uzo Aduba - Orange Is the New Black 
Joanna Frogatt - Downton Abbey 
Regina King - American Crime 
Maura Tierney - The Affair 
Judith Light - Transparent 
Not that I expected her to be here, but Melissa McBride really should've been for The Walking Dead. Shit writing aside, she slays every single scene she's in.


Best Supporting Actor in a Series, Limited-Series or TV Movie
Alan Cumming - The Good Wife
Damien Lewis - Wolf Hall
Ben Mendelsohn - Bloodline
Tobias Menzies - Outlander
Christian Slater - Mr. Robot
Christian Slater!!


Best Actor in a Limited Series/TV Movie
Idris Elba - Luther 
Oscar Isaac - Show Me a Hero 
David Oyelowo - Nightingale 
Mark Rylance - Wolf Hall 
Patrick Wilson - Fargo 
Happy to see Wilson here. 

Best TV Series, Drama
Empire 
Game of Thrones
Mr. Robot
Narcos
Outlander
I love Mr. Robot and Game of Thrones being here. Outlander, from what I watched in S1 was good too. And Empire makes a bit of a come back after being snubbed at the SAGS.


Best Actor in a TV Series, Drama
Jon Hamm - Mad Men
Rami Malek - Mr. Robot
Wagner Moura - Narcos
Bob Odenkirk - Better Caul Saul
Liev Schreiber - Ray Donovan
Rami!! It's too bad he'll lose to John Hamm.


Best Actress in a TV Series, Drama
Caitriona Balfe - Outlander
Viola Davis - How to Get Away With Murder
Eva Green - Penny Dreadful
Taraji P. Henson - Empire
Robin Wright - House of Cards


Best Motion Picture - Comedy or Musical
The Big Short 
Joy 
The Martian 
Spy 
Trainwreck 
Everyone is bitching about The Martian being here but I honestly have no problem with it. That movie was funny and a lot funnier than some of the other comedies that were out this year. 


Best Actress in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
Jennifer Lawrence - Joy 
Melissa McCarthy - Spy 
Amy Schumer - Trainwreck 
Maggie Smith - The Lady in the Van 
Lily Tomlin - Grandma 
I was right in my prediction that Lily Tomlin would get some Globes love for this. But the big question is...are you ready for some "hilarious" Lawrence/Schumer shenanigans on the red carpet?


Best Motion Picture - Drama
Carol 
Mad Max: Fury Road 
The Revenant 
Spotlight 
Room
Fury Road is a hit this awards season so far. I was not expecting it to get all this love. I like these nominations, even though it's a shame Brooklyn and Sicario missed out.


Best Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama
Cate Blanchett - Carol 
Brie Larson - Room 
Rooney Mara - Carol 
Saoirse Ronan - Brooklyn 
Alicia Vikander - The Danish Girl 
Dennis Quaid butchered Saoirse's name. Seriously, it's not like she's an unknown, people should be pronouncing this correctly by now. HFPA was having none of that category fraud. They just kiss big stars' asses, is all. 


Best Actor in Motion Picture - Drama
Bryan Cranston - Trumbo 
Leonardo DiCaprio - The Revenant 
Michael Fassbender - Steve Jobs 
Eddie Redmayne - The Danish Girl 
Will Smith - Concussion 
Will Smith? Really? Trembly, Depp, or Attah would've been better choices. Hell, Joseph Gordon-Levitt for The Walk would've been better


Best Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture
Jane Fonda - Youth 
Jennifer Jason Leigh - The Hateful Eight 
Helen Mirren - Trumbo 
Alicia Vikander - Ex Machina 
Kate Winslet - Steve Jobs 
Vikander is a double nominee. I'm probably the most excited about her in this category, which is kind of uneventful for me at the moment. Kristen Stewart being in for Clouds of Sils Maria would make it more eventful.


Best Actor in Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
Christian Bale - The Big Short 
Steve Carell - The Big Short 
Matt Damon - The Martian 
Al Pacino - Danny Collins 
Mark Ruffalo - Infinitely Polar Bear 
I love, love, LOVE Ruffalo being here for Infinitely Polar Bear. He was so good and that film was such a gem. I'm glad it's getting a bit of attention.


Best Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture
Paul Dano - Love & Mercy 
Idris Elba - Beasts of No Nation 
Michael Shannon - 99 Homes 
Sylvester Stallone - Creed 
Mark Rylance - Bridge of Spies
I LOVE Dano and Shannon being in here. That's all I care about. Idris, though I love him was meh in Beasts and I don't care about Creed or Bridge of Spies. I would rather see Tom Hardy for The Revenant and Mark Ruffalo for Spotlight than Stallone and Rylance


Best Animated Film
Anomalisa
The Good Dinosaur
Inside Out
The Peanuts Movie
Shaun the Sheep Movie
I imagine this will be the Oscar line up too.


Best Screenplay – Motion Picture
Room
Spotlight
The Big Short
Steve Jobs
The Hateful Eight
I thought Steve Jobs was dead in the water for anything other than Fassy. I should've known better. Sorkin has gotten a Globe nomination for every single major film he's written.


Best Original Score – Motion Picture
Carol
The Danish Girl
The Hateful Eight
Steve Jobs
The Revenant
I really don't remember Steve Jobs' score at the moment, and haven't seen the rest.


Best Original Song – Motion Picture
"Love Me Like You Do"  - Fifty Shades of Grey
"One Kind of Love" - Love and Mercy
"See You Again"  - Furious 7
"Simple Song #3"  -Youth
"Writings on the Wall" - Spectre
Fifty Shades is a Globe nominee. Good lord. I'm Glad Love & Mercy is here, but that awful Spectre song shouldn't be. 


Best Foreign Language Film
The Brand New Testament - Belgium, France and Luxembourg
The Club - Chile
The Fencer - Estonia
Mustang - Colombia
Son of Saul - Hungary
I didn't realize countries could share a film like this. I haven't seen any of these. Good for Estonia for getting another nomination in. I loved Tangerines. 

Comments

  1. "are you ready for some "hilarious" Lawrence/Schumer shenanigans on the red carpet?" - yeah I'm not watching RC this year :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Completely agree about Melissa McBride - I really wish her or Andrew would grab at least one nomination. Rick was practically non-existent this season, which is a shame for Andrew - he's deserved nominations in the past (nope not bias at all lol).

    So happy to see Fargo, Kirsten and Wilson nominated. This season has been so wild and good.

    Love that The Martian got a little bit of love too. It wasn't a perfect movie but it was very light-hearted considering the plot and really quite funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These nominations would've been for season 5, and they both had good material there. But they'll always be over looked because TWD's writing is so inconsistent.

      Delete
  3. Good stuff Brittani! I'm with you in wishing Sicario and Brooklyn got more love. I tend to disagree about Elba though. I thought he was insanely good in "Beasts" and I really liked Stallone. He was one of the biggest surprises for me this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What distracted me about Idris in Beasts was his accent. It was so clear that he was the only one in the film with a fake one. I had trouble getting past that.

      Though he's far better then whatever the fuck Will Smith is doing in the Concussion trailer.

      Delete
  4. i would have loved to see melissa mcbride here as well! yesss FARGO!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope she gets nominated for SOMETHING eventually. Emmys are her best hope since they separate categories.

      Delete
  5. I canNOT with Transparent in the Comedy category. I get that it's a dramedy, but it definitely leans more on the drama side of things. I laughed maybe once an episode for the four that I watched. I really didn't like it other than Tambor, who was just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I blame the Emmys. They have that stupid rule about all 30 mins shows being comedies and it's fucked Transparent for everything.

      Delete
  6. Ruffalo's nom was awesome! I can't wait to see Fargo, but I need to watch season 1 first. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked season 1 better, but my husband liked season 2 better. Both are great and definitely worth the watch.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum