DVD Review: Z for Zachariah

The Godzilla rev up of eye fucks.

A nuclear disaster wipes out nearly all of the human race. Ann (Margot Robbie) is a young woman living on a farm in a valley that has protected her from the unnamed plague that killed everyone. One day, she meets a scientist John (Chiwetel Ejiofor) whom she saves from radiation poisoning after he's wandered near her farm. They have their disagreements, but they work together to survive, then grow a little closer than that. Then, another man, Caleb (Chris Pine) enters their world, and makes things 50 shades of awkward.

I never read the book this is based on. Which apparently doesn't matter because after reading the summary of it, it's nothing like the film. I think this initially had a lot of potential, but it's wasted on a love triangle that doesn't make much sense, and comes to a pretty anticlimactic conclusion. Did they not think the film could work with just Ann and John? I think it could've. Caleb's only purpose was to be a pain in the ass. 

The cinematography is breathtaking. Those subliminal New Zealand tourism videos sure are working. I'd love to go there. The actors do what they can with the material given, but it just feels like a wasted opportunity to explore something very interesting.

Recommended: No

Grade: C-

Memorable Quote: "I think it was your brother." - John (Chiwetel Ejiofor)

Comments

  1. I'll probably watch this when it comes out, purely because it has Robbie in it - but it's a shame that you weren't sold. Great review Brittani :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sucks because I was actually really interested in checking this out...I still probably will...but my expectations are lowered now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a bummer. I wish it would've delivered, because I love this cast.

      Delete
  3. I have not heard of this before but the plot sounds intriguing...until you said Chris Pine shows up. Nothing against the actor but I knew then the film would go into a love triangle. It reminds me of a film I saw when I was a kid where 1 woman and 2 men survived but I can't remember much more except I think it was made in the 1950's or 60's. I would want to know if animals survived, how do they eat and what? There seems to be so much more that could be done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The love triangle ruins it. It was doing so well until the film force feeds it to us.

      Delete
  4. I've never heard of this, and a quarter way through this post I was soooo excited to check it out.

    But then I kept reading.

    Bummer. Thanks for the heads up, though. But that cast!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can just copy and paste his comment and slap my name on it because that's exactly what I was going to say.

      Delete
  5. I liked this, I like the quiet apocalypse ones, but I definitely wanted to ask more questions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was prepared to like it, it just didn't work out. I wish they had stuck closer to the novel, that would've made for a better story.

      Delete
  6. Great review! I've been intrigued by this one for a while, but I won't rush to see it now.
    - Allie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read an outline of what the book was about. That sounded a lot better. lol

      Delete
  7. Yeah, this could've been so much better. I hope Robbie continues to get roles like this, though. She was great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was, though I could never figure out how old her character was supposed to be. I hope she wasn't meant to be a teenager like her book counterpart.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum