Indie Gems: Defendor

Get the spelling right.

Arthur Poppington (Woody Harrelson) is just a regular guy who turns into "Defendor" his alter ego and super hero at night. He's looking for "Captain Industry" who he believes murdered his mother long ago. He fights crime with his home made weapons. One day he encounters Kat (Kat Dennigs) a prostitute and crack addict he saves,  she speculates on who Captain Industry might be. This turns Arthur's sights on a local king pin.

I feel like this movie was massively marketed wrong. The trailers I watched made it seem like a comedy, and there are some amusing moments, but it's certainly not one. Arthur is actually very tragic. He's a man who suffered from fetal alcohol syndrome when he was born and isn't "all there" now. So seeing him sort of blow off his small support system is sad. 

Harrelson is great, and he looks like he's having fun with this role. Of course a film like this will remind you of Kick Ass and Super. I'd put it right between the two in terms of how good it is. Super is the clear winner for me, and Defendor definitely has a leg up on Kick Ass.

Grade: B

Memorable Quote: "When I'm Defendor, I'm not Arthur any more. I'm a million times better than Arthur" - Arthur (Woody Harrelson)

Comments

  1. I really liked Woody Harrelson in this. And I agree that this should not have been marketed at a comedy. It had a few funny moments, but it was a sad story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was. It was nothing like I expected based on the previews.

      Delete
  2. I'd not heard about this film. I'm wondering if there isn't a niche movie category developing here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose "films that are marketed wrong" could have their own. Lol

      Delete
  3. Never saw this one. It sounds interesting, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't even remember how I ended up hearing about it either.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum