Review: Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Droid, please.

It's here. Oh my God it's here. I was smiling like an idiot as soon as "A long time ago, in a galaxy far away..." hit the screen. I'm probably going to see it again in theaters this week, which I never do. 

The First Order has risen from the Empire, lead by General Hux (Domhnall Gleeson) and Kylo Ren (Adam Driver) they are trying to find a Resistance pilot named Poe Dameron (Oscar Isaac) who has something they desperately need. In true Star Wars fashion, he hides his secrets in his droid, BB-8 (Who is my new favorite droid, by the way) right before he's captured. A Stormtrooper, Finn (John Boyega) horrified with what the First Order is doing defects and sets him free. After they crash land back on the planet of Jakku, BB-8 has fallen into the hands of a scavanger Rey (Daisy Ridley) who now along with Finn find themselves on the First Order's most wanted list, and fleeing to the Resistance. 

This film is so fun. It's everything those prequels should've been. The biggest complaint I hear is that is rehashes a lot of A New Hope, but it was always going to. It's the start of a new trilogy and it's not a carbon copy. They found the perfect balance in paying homage and being their own movie, something we saw Jurassic World fail at earlier this year. Rey, Finn, Poe, and Kylo are all very interesting characters whose dialogue flows so easily with each other. I'm not sure I've ever rooted for a bromance so quickly as I did with Finn and Poe. I loved Rey and Finn's enthusiasm. And of course, I loved seeing Han, Leia, and the rest of the original cast. They played supporting roles to our new cast and that's perfectly fine. 

I want to talk about Kylo Ren. I feel like a lot of people are raving about the three good guys, but Ren is actually one of the most intriguing villains Star Wars has to offer. He's very conflicted, erratic, and he uses the force in ways we've never seen. Strangely, even though he does a lot of despicable things, he's the one I'm most interested in seeing.

And one other thing - SPOILER ALERT - highlight over text - I really hope they don't go the route of Rey being a Skywalker, or Solo, or any way related to them. I think it's more interesting if she's her own person and not another part of the family affair. - END SPOILER

I fucking love this movie. So what if it's my fangirl talking. 

Recommended: Yes

Grade: A+

Memorable Quote: "I didn't know this much green existed in the entire galaxy." - Rey (Daisy Ridley)

Comments

  1. I haven't seen the new one yet nor do I really follow any of it but even I think they will make Rey into Luke's daughter :lol: Or Ren's twin to parallel Leia/Luke thing. Disney seems to be playing it very safe with this one, following the formula that worked before

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty clear she's probably going to be related, but I still hope they don't go that route. It's canon in the SW universe that kids can be force sensitive without having jedi parents, so why can't she just be a random too? Lol

      Delete
  2. I had a gut feeling I was going to love Kylo Ren, and I really, really did. I hope we get to find out more about him in the next installment, because he's so darn interesting!
    - Allie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is! I hope so too. I can't wait to see all these new characters again.

      Delete
  3. My nephew told me something about Rey and the books and so...I don't think you're going to be happy with Episode 8.

    But I hope he's wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope he is too. I'm aware of how the story went in the EU, but Abrams said they weren't going to follow it exactly, so I think some things will deviate.

      Delete
  4. I agree that Kylo Ren is an interesting villian, I think its clear that he is one for the future. I don't find him a threatening villian just yet, but I have a feeling I will do in the next installments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's going to be pissed when we see him again. And that scar will be creepy.

      Delete
  5. Great review! It does seem like they'll make Rey the next generation of Skywalker, but maybe that's too obvious? The shock value would be nil. Anyway, excited to see what happens next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so obvious, that's why I hope she isn't. Maybe she's a Kenobi descendant instead?

      Delete
  6. I'm not a super huge SW fan, just recently revisited the original trilogy to um, boost my enthusiasm for this new film. But yeah, even I was geeking out a bit when "A long time ago, in a galaxy far away..." scroll came on. There are a lot to like here, but LOVE BB-8, he's my new fave droid too and Kylo certainly has the best hair for a villain ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol Kylo's hair is beautiful he should let that flow. I LOVE BB-8 and how cute Poe was with him.

      Delete
  7. The Force is Strong again. This brought me back in a big way and maybe, I will go see it again. I had fun watching this as it reminded me what I loved about the original trilogy as a kid. BB-8 is adorable and I hope the next film has more interactions with BB-8 and R2-D2 who would annoy C-3P0. Rey is my favorite character of the film as I just loved her story arc and what she would be able to do. With the exception of Leia, she's the heroine I think fans of the series are waiting for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rey is wonderful. All these newbies are. I'm loving this so much more than the prequels.

      Delete
  8. Dude. We wrote the same review. Well, you wrote the good version, but still.

    But all of the perfect things you said, this: "something we saw Jurassic World fail at earlier this year" is the best. JDubs totally f--ked this up, but TFA nailed it. Excellent call.

    I LOVE THIS POST.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude, I can't write for shit, that's why "rambling" is in my title lol. I'm glad you feel the same way about JW. I'm starting to hate that more and more when I think about it.

      Delete
  9. I'm so glad we're having the same feels with this one! I absolutely LOVED IT! I'm seeing it again too. And I agree with you and m.brown about it succeeded in doing what Jurassic Park failed at (YES!).

    Not sure how I feel about Ren...only because I think of him in Girls, but I'll get over that ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has his clothes on in this though! I kind of love Adam Driver, he's really a fascinating actor.

      Delete
  10. "I fucking love this movie. So what if it's my fangirl talking." That's about how I feel, and I'm the farthest from a fanBOY as possible when it comes to Star Wars. I adored this movie. It is exactly what made me love movies in the first place. Fun. And Love. That's what this movie is all about.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I loved the movie as well, and I agree with your enthusiastic review.

    ReplyDelete
  12. YAY! I wouldn't go as high an A+, but I loved it, too! I'm a prequel apologist, though, so I was bound to enjoy it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! lol. There's a few things I like about the prequels, but not many. This was everything I wish the prequels had been.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum