DVD Review: The Edge of Seventeen

We've all been there.

Being a teenager sucks. Nadine (Hailee Steinfeld) knows. She's awkward, she doesn't fit in and her only friend Krista (Haley Lu Richardson) hooked up with her brother, Darian. (Blake Jenner) What is she going to do?

I didn't think this movie would be for me. I was a little petty over the title, as there's another film called Edge of Seventeen. But glowing reviews made me change my mind. I never expected it to resonate with me like this. 

Nadine, at times is a really hard character to like. She's quite cruel, even if she doesn't always mean it. She doesn't have a filter. But she's also depressed and awkward and I felt like I could relate to her so much. The crippling loneliness 
and the feeling of no one to turn to. I felt that way at seventeen too. I didn't lash out quite the way Nadine did. But I got that part of her. 

Hailee Steinfeld finally shows that spark she had in True Grit that seems to have been lost in her other work. She's good, she really is. Richardson doesn't have a lot to do but she's always adorable. Woody Harrelson playing the teacher Nadine singles out and Kyra Sedgwick as her self absorbed mother were also very strong in their small parts.

The film was a bit uneven, much of that can be attributed to Nadine's character, but it's a good watch for anyone who experienced awkwardness in high school. I never expected to shed tears over it. (That's probably just me, right?) 

Recommended: Yes

Grade: B

Memorable Quote: "Your head is too big for your body and there's nothing you can do about it." - Nadine (Hailee Steinfeld)

Comments

  1. I experience awkwardness on daily basis and I'm pretty sure I'm mentally 17teen if not less so maybe I should skip it...I love Harrelson, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you should see it. Maybe I won't be the only one that cries because of it? lol

      Delete
  2. This sounds like quite a good film and I like what you said about Hailee and her performance in this film. I have another one to add to my list

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought the main conflict in the movie was too much.. like I didn't find it believable and I much more enjoyed the awkwardness of Nadine trying to fit in.. I wished for something better, but it was still pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree it wasn't very believable. Honestly the most unbelievable part to me was that the teacher would actually let a student into his home. I cannot see that happening in this day and age.

      Delete
  4. I loved this damn movie. I think everybody can relate to some part of Nadine, even if at times she's the worst person alive. In a way I don't exactly blame her, as she's basically alone in the world. Well, except for Erwin.

    And she tortures that f--king dude.

    Oh, and as a teacher, I ain't letting any young girl into my house. I once had some girls so up in my yard and I almost lost my shit. Okay, I didn't...but my wife certainly did. (they came by to see our newborn!??!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was in school, a teacher lost her job because she let a student who was having a hard time at home stay over at her house. That part of the movie was so jarring to me for that reason. lol

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum