Review: T2 Trainspotting

"That high cunty voice."

Renton (Ewan McGregor) is a mostly changed man. He's a far cry from the heroin addict we saw take off with a bunch of cash in 1996's original. (Side note, I can't believe that movie is 20 years old) He comes back to Edinburgh intending to pay off his debts to Spub (Ewen Bremner) and Simon. (Johnny Lee Miller) Only Simone isn't ready to let bygones be bygones. He plans on hurting Renton again. Then there's Begbie (Robert Carlyle) freshly escaped from prison and even less happy to hear about Renton than Simon. 

Director Danny Boyle makes it easy on you if you don't re-watch the original right before seeing this. He stitches in scenes from the first one as a reminder to what these lads went to, and I found that welcomed. I'm not sure, even after watching this if Trainspotting actually needed a sequel. Nothing profound happens, but it's nice to see everyone back together again.

The fact paced dialogue, the great performances, the stylish shots, those stay the same. T2 relies on nostalgia and occasionally takes a bit too long to get to the point. It's fairly predictable on top of that, but the laughs I got from it were worth it. 

Recommended: Yes

Grade: B

Memorable Quote: "She's too young for you." - Diane (Kelly Macdonald)

Comments

  1. I'm so immensely jealous that you managed to see this one, as my hunt for it makes me feel like I'm trying to watch a snuff film with Nic f--king Cage.

    Even if it's entirely unnecessary, the first film was something that changed my life in terms of being a full-on movie nerd, as I likely watched that f--ker 100 times. I mean, there's nothing like seeing Renton dive headfirst into the worst toilet in Scotland...

    Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh for sure. Even if we didn't need it, I'm glad it's there. It was a nice way to spend an afternoon. I hope this comes near you.

      Delete
  2. I can't believe the original film is that old...that toilet scene is still way too memorable. I didn't know they did a remake but would love to see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason I thought the film was released in 2000 or 2001. When they kept saying 20 years I was like "wait, really?"

      Delete
  3. I really want to see this as I'm a fan of the original as I wrote an essay about that film. It's very likely I'll see it on TV as I think it came and went in the theaters which is becoming common nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My theater just opened it this week so maybe there's still hope.

      Delete
  4. I'm super glad you don't need to remember much of the original to enjoy this because I only ever saw it once, back in College, and it was for a project so I paid very little attention! That said, I do want to catch this at some point :)
    I'm loving your new blog look by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm still deciding whether or not I want to keep it. I miss having a visible sidebar. lol

      Delete
  5. I wasn't sure if I wanted to see this or not. Now I know I want. And by the way, I love the new look!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so want to see it. Like for M.Brown the first one is one of my all time favorite films

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had seen it earlier. I think it would've shaped the way I watched movies more. I'm grateful for it no matter.

      Delete
  7. Wow...it's been 20 years since the first film? Glad to hear this one was entertaining. I'll be on the lookout for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? It's crazy to think it's 20 years old. It doesn't seem it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum