Indie Gems: I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore

Well that's just mean.

Ruth (Melanie Lynskey) is a lonely woman who comes home to find her house burglarized one day. They've stolen her lap top, her grandmother's silver and some medications from her. The police are completely indifferent to helping her so she enlists the help of her strange neighbor, Tony (Elijah Wood) to try to locate the thieves.

The is the directorial debut of actor Macon Blair, who also wrote it. To be honest, this film is pretty messy but directors rarely start out perfect. I think he has a lot of potential because the story was very quirky. It's strange how a movie can be enjoyable and kind of a trainwreck at the same time. I liked this. I was never bored, even though pace wise it is kind of slow. I think it's because whenever the film would slow down, something outrageously funny would happen and it would pull me back in. 

Lynskey is wonderful as always. She's so underrated and she continuously puts out amazing work. She's got to be on the Oscar stage one of these days. Elijah Wood is also fun. 

While not perfect, the film makes for a nice watch on Netflix, especially for the actors.

Grade: B-

Watched on: Netflix Instant

Memorable Quote: "You're gonna look, right?" - Ruth (Melanie Lynskey)

Comments

  1. This has been popping up all over my Netflix feed for a while now and wasn't sure what to make of it. I didn't even realise this was the films plot but it seems like something I might enjoy. Also, I loved this review. I chuckled at the part where you said it was enjoyable and also a train wreck!��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol it's nice when a film can be both. I hope you check it out.

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed this a lot. The pace was slow but it never bored me either. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering about this one. I like Melanie and Elijah, but the movie wasn't calling me. Based on your review, it sounds kinda meh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I plan on watching this one pretty soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Macon Blair? Yes please. I'm looking forward to this even if it's flawed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he has potential to be a really good director.

      Delete
  6. I agree - not perfect, but perfectly watchable. Love her too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum