Review: Riders of Justice


Markus (Mads Mikkelson) is a miltary man whose called back home when his wife is killed in a tragic train accident. Only, maybe it's not an accident at all. A Mathematician, Otto (Nikolaj Lie Kaas) switched seats with Markus' wife prior to the crash, and feels incredibly guilty, even more so when he sees Markus' daughter Mathilde (Andrea Heick Gadeberg) all alone at the hospital. He concludes that there are too many factors that lead to this not being an accident. Along with his colleagues Leinart (Lars Brygmaan) and Emmenthaler (Nicolas Bro) they bring their suspicions to Markus and what unfolds is a violent tale of revenge.

Mads Mikkelson is one of my favorite working actors right now so this has been on my watch list for a while. I know he has worked with director Anders Thomas Jensen several times, but this is the first time I've watched one of their films and now I need to search out the rest. I knew I'd like this, but I wasn't expecting to love it as much as I did.

This film has a lot of very dark and disturbing elements, but also a lot of awkward humor. It's truly about a band of broken people finding each other. Markus is the type to close off his feelings, Mathilde doesn't want to be like that, and his three new colleagues are all for being open. Even though they're all committing a crime together, watching them get to know each other and work through their issues was fascinating.

Of course Mikkelson was fantastic, but Nicolas Bro is another standout here. Emmenthaler has a bit of OCD and A LOT of opinions on screen resolution, I thought he was wonderful to watch. 

And I'm counting this as a Christmas movie now because there's one scene in it that absolutely warmed my heart.

Recommended: Yes

Grade: A-

Memorable Quote: "Everyone is very excited to see the barn." - Leinart (Lars Brygmaan)

Comments

  1. I saw this last Spring as past of MSPIFF and absolutely loved it!!! Mads is just killing it, but I also love the entire ensemble cast. It's definitely a Christmas movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you agree! I loved that scene, after everything that happened it was definitely needed.

      Delete
  2. I've heard great things about this film as I too love Mads. I'm hoping he reunites with Nicolas Winding Refn for another film as I just love their collaboration and hopefully be something with Jena Malone who has worked with NWR twice so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mads and Jena together would be great! I'd love to see that.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum