Review: The Substance


Official synopsis
: A fading celebrity(Demi Moore) decides to use a black-market drug, a cell-replicating substance that temporarily creates a younger, better version of herself. (Margaret Qualley)

It's not secret how hard society is on women aging. We're marketed anti-wrinkle creams and serums from our teen years. And if there's one line of work where it's especially true, it's show business. Elisabeth Sparkle (Moore) is feeling that more than ever. She overhears her sexist boss, Harvey (Dennis Quaid) saying he needs someone young. So when the titular substance becomes available to her, how can she not take it?

This is one of the best performances Moore has ever given. There's so much sadness and anger in Elisabeth's eyes, and rightfully show. All of the cast was wonderful. I've never wanted to punch Dennis Quaid in the face more. The production design is absolutely stunning and it will be a travesty if this team is not nominated for an Oscar. The score is booming, and at times reminded me of one of my favorite horror films - Susperia

Then there's the gore. This is a body horror flick, so we can't go without mentioning it. I haven't cringed this much (in a good way!) for quite some time. It's wildly uncomfortable, yet you can't look away. Trust me, I tried. I also love how completely off the rails this film gets at one point. That rage was needed. I can see how that might not work for some viewers, but I thought it was earned and I'm glad the film goes there. Once you see it, you'll know what I'm referring to.

One could argue that "this has been done" Starry Eyes and The Neon Demon tackled similar subjects. But also...who cares? If someone has a story, like director Coralie Fargeat clearly has, what does it matter if others have told something similar? What matters is that it's good at The Substance is very, very good. 

Grade: A

Comments

  1. I am thinking about seeing this as I hope my multiplex will have it this coming weekend though it's not very likely. Still, I am intrigued by this as I am also aware that MUBI has a short and a feature film by this director on their service and there's another short by that woman that's on Vimeo. I hope to check them out. I really want to punch Dennis Quaid right now as he's become as idiotic like his crazy-ass brother as he's getting trashed for his work in that awful Ronald Reagan bio-pic that also features that asshole from Crud as Frank Sinatra.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to look for her short on Mubi since I have that for a few more months yet. That Reagan biopic looks so awful. Every time I see him I think that John Oliver saying that he can say one good thing about Reagan and that's "he died."

      Delete
  2. Reviews on this are crazy. I think it's one I might try to track down in-theater. I'm kind of 0-for-3 this year, so maybe this will pull me out of the slump.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! I think it will definitely get you out of that slump.

      Delete
  3. absolutely love the gore and substance of this body horror

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Review: The Batman