Review: Will & Harper


Official synopsis: 
In this intimate portrayal of friendship, transition, and America, Will Ferrell and his close friend of thirty years Harper Steele decide to go on a cross-country road trip to explore a new chapter in their relationship.

Harper Steele didn't get to become her authentic self until she was close to 60. As you can imagine, her buddy Will Ferrell (and many others) have questions. So what better way to explore those questions than a cross country road trip across the U.S, going to random bars and drinking shitty beer? That's what Harper and Will do, and they tackle the tough questions while having plenty of laughs and touching moments along the way.

I shouldn't be surprised at how authentic this felt, but I'm a pretty cynical person. I wondered how this framing would work and it turns out, perfectly. Yes, there's tense moments, like when Harper and Will find themselves in a Texas steakhouse and the homophobes of Twitter go nuts about it, but most of it was positive. There's plenty of trans joy to be found here and that's what I was hoping for. There's tears and tender moments, but Harper and Will are hilarious and it's clear their bond as friends is strong.

This is easily one of the best things Netflix has put out this year. I loved watching these two and I loved every time they encountered someone who accepted Harper for who she is. Though I have to admit, I am kind of shocked by the amount of people who didn't recognize Will Ferrell. 

Grade: A

Comments

  1. I might check this out as I'm glad Will Ferrell is standing up for the trans community. He obviously cares about Harper and accepts who she is. The community does need better representation other than someone like... ugh... Bruce Jenner. He's always going to be Bruce no matter what he calls himself or what he's become.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catelyn Jenner is a MESS. I won't deadname her even though she sucks, but she does REALLY suck.

      Delete
  2. I'm waiting on this one for my wife to get home--she's visiting Kid #1 for a few days, and I know she'd be irate if I watched this without her.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum

Indie Gems: Behind The Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon

Please join me in my Favorite Movie Titles Blogathon!