Review: Killer Heat


Official synopsis: 
Follows twin brothers (Richard Madden) who find themselves in a dangerous love triangle on an isolated Greek island. The investigation is given to "The Jealousy Man," a wounded detective. (Joseph Gordon-Levitt)

I would love to know what the working title of this film was, because I cannot imagine Killer Heat being the first choice. It is however, the first red flag in a film that it's horrible, but is very uninspired.

Look, Joseph Gordon-Levitt is my favorite actor and he would do really well in a modern noir with a great script (Rian Johnson, stop giving him cameos only!) but this just wasn't it. I'm offering it a lot of grace for him, Richard Madden, and Shalene Woodley.

While the central mystery is easy to guess, I just found this hollow. The narration and the actual dialogue between characters don't mesh well and I kept wishing these exact people were just in a better movie. Everything was disjointed, especially when they incorporate flashbacks, and the characters felt more like they were talking AT each other rather than WITH each other.

The cast deserved better. Clearly Amazon didn't have much faith in it either because I never would've known this movie existed had I not already followed JGL on social media. But it's there on Prime if you feel like streaming it.

Grade: C-

Comments

  1. I just did a short review on my monthly recap. I agree, the cast deserved better, esp. JGL who's still fun to watch here. The Crete scenery is gorgeous though, that's about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. If there's one good thing this film did, it was move Crete higher on my "places to travel" list lol

      Delete
  2. Rian Johnson needs to create a big part for JGL. Hell, that cast deserves better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Clearly he's craving more than a cameo. (Even though his cameos in Johnson's films are always pretty funny)

      Delete
  3. This is Birgit…I like Joseph Gordon Levitt from the time he was on 3rd Rock from the Sun but this film does not sound remotely interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum

Indie Gems: Behind The Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon

Please join me in my Favorite Movie Titles Blogathon!