Series Review: The Rings of Power (Season 2)


After a flawed, but still very watchable season 1. The Rings of Power is back for its second season on Amazon Prime, and the stakes are even higher. To preface, I'm a big fan of the Lord of the Rings movies, but I haven't read the books. I own them, and I'm somewhat familiar with the lore, but I'm not a purist. I'm coming to this as someone who is here to watch and enjoy, and not compare with the source material. So here are my likes, dislikes, and things I'm looking forward to if the series gets renewed. Minor spoilers, of course.

LIKES
* The Elves - This is a series that jumps around to different locations quite a bit but the elves consistently have the most interesting stories. Galadriel and Elrond are my two favorites and them mixing in with Adar and Celebrimbor this season was a treat.
* Charles Edwards, Robert Aramayo, and Morfydd Clark better be seeing some acting nominations from the Globes and SAG. Really, the show as a whole should not be left out. These actors are showing some serious chops on this show.
* Gandolf found his name and his staff. He was little seen this season, but that's a hurdle that I know plenty of fans wanted him to get over.
* The dwarves are messy bitches and I continue to love them too
I don't care of Elrond eventually marries Galadriel's daughter in the future - their chemistry is on fire and I kind of hope the show just rewrites them as a couple. There, I said it. 
* The battle scenes reminded me of early Game of Thrones. Excellent all around
* I CAN SEE! Some of these scenes are dark as fuck and I don't have to mess with the TV or turn every single light off in my house to see what's going on. That's huge.
* Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter's glow up has been insane.




DISLIKES
* I still don't care about Numenor
* Gandolf's story was messy. There was so much time between episodes where we saw him and Nori because everything else was more pressing that it felt like it was wrapped up far too quickly. 
* Magical healing powers...man, some people recover from injuries fast.
* Actors departing the show made things slightly awkward. For instance, Bronwyn had to be killed off screen since the actress quit the show, and Adar's actor was recast, and I have no idea why the original one left because he got way more to do this season.

LOOKING AHEAD
* More scenes of Elrond and Galadriel together, please
* Bring Gandolf into the main story, or just have him stick with Tom. As much as I like Nori, I don't think the hobbits add much to this show
*I know less Numenor isn't an option but I really hope it gets a revamp because I'm still having a hard time caring about those characters when the elves and dwarves are just so much more interesting. 
* Let Sauron be hot again. 
* RENEW IT, AMAZON!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum

Indie Gems: Behind The Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon

Please join me in my Favorite Movie Titles Blogathon!