Review: We Live in a Time


Official Synopsis:
 An up-and-coming chef (Florence Pugh) and a recent divorcée (Andrew Garfield) find their lives forever changed when a chance encounter brings them together, in a decade-spanning, deeply moving romance.

It takes a certain kind of actor to make me want to watch a film where you know without a shadow of a doubt someone is dying from cancer. Florence Pugh and Andrew Garfield are such actors for me. I love their work, so I found myself ready to weep over them on a fall afternoon.

I had hoped given the caliber of everyone involved that this story might be something different, but it's more of the same. You know exactly how this movie is going to end. But what makes it watchable is the chemistry of the lead actors. We follow Almut and Tobias through at least a decade of their lives, jumping around in various times, and no matter where we find them, they ooze chemistry. They are the film's beating heart.

Jumping around in time can be tricky but I think the film did a good job of making it easy to follow. It did start to slow once we got to the back half of the film, but there was no part of their relationship that was uninteresting. I was just hoping they'd do something different with the ending. There was a way they could have. It was right there, but alas, they kept it business as usual.

I didn't love this film, but it was at least worth the matinee price. 

Grade: B-

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum

Indie Gems: Behind The Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon

Please join me in my Favorite Movie Titles Blogathon!