Indie Gems: Middle of Nowhere

We're in some middle place.

When Derek (Omari Hardwick) is sentenced to eight years in prison, his wife Ruby (Emayatzy Corinealdi) puts her dreams of medical school on hold. She works long hours as a nurse. She has a somewhat strained relationship with her mother (Lorraine Toussaint) and shaky one with her sister. (Edwina Findley Dickinson) When things get harder, she begins to questions if waiting for Derek is really the best option.

I first heard of this movie on Candice's blog what feels like several years ago now. I immediately saved it in my Netflix queue, and I waited. And waited. And waited. And now after all this time, I finally got a hold of this DVD. I'm happy to report that this film absolutely met my expectations and was well worth the wait.

The only actors in this film I was really familiar with were Toussaint and David Oweyelo, who are obviously both fantastic. But Corinealdi, she was so good! Ruby is a strong character, yet she has all her emotions bottled up. She's absolutely heartbreaking in some scenes, and I was really rooting for her to find happiness throughout. Hardwick too is intense and perfect for his role. 

This film is lovely and so beautifully shot. It frequently uses dream like sequences and it blends so well with it's reality. 

Grade: A

Memorable Quote: "I'm not sure if you like the same kind of movies I do." - Ruby (Emayatzy Corinealdi)

Comments

  1. This sounds terrific. I'm off to add it to my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is. I'm glad it finally came out on DVD. lol

      Delete
  2. I've been waiting for this one too for a very long time. Looks like the success of Selma finally got distributors to get this a proper DVD treatment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's ridiculous how long this took. I'm glad it's finally here and worth the wait at least.

      Delete
  3. Great review Brittani-- This sounds like a beautiful film and a true indie gem. I've never heard of it. I thought that looked like David Oweyelo in the picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) I hope you can check it out one day.

      Delete
  4. I really need to give this a look. It's near the top of my Netflix queue, so I should see it soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The movie sounds interesting, putting in on my watch list. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum