Indie Gems: Rosewater

You are not alone

Maziar Bahari (Gael Garcia Bernal) is an Iranian-Canadian journalist covering the elections in Iran in 2009. When he goes with his driver he's befriended, Davood (Dimitri Leonidas) to see the more "controversial" sides of the people. He's eventually detained, beaten, and interrogated for over four months in prison by Javadi. (Kim Bodnia)

Sometimes I wonder if I should shy away from doing newer releases as Indie Gems. I go back and forth on this frequently. But Rosewater, though new seems like it was almost forgotten this past year. It's a shame too because it is a fine film.

I've been a fan of Bernal for a long time, and he's great here. This role is very far out of his comfort zone, but he nails it effortlessly. The whole cast really, is perfect. Of course since the film is directed by Jon Stewart, he throws in a bit of humor here and there and it's much welcomed. Otherwise this film would be very bleak. The way it is shot, often with digital phrases or pictures overlapping the scenery looks great. The score is also excellent. (And during one particular scene, it elevates it from "awkward" to "hilarious.")

Grade: A-

Memorable Quote: "...No. Go on, this could be important information." - Javadi (Kim Bodnia)

Comments

  1. Gosh, I really didn't care for this one. And I really wanted to. I do like Bernal though. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you didn't care for it. I'm glad I enjoyed it too. lol

      Delete
  2. I am intrigued by the fact that Jon Stewart directed this. I'd heard about it, but then I forgot. I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this film is close to him because an interview on his show was used for "evidence" against Bahari. I hope you like it.

      Delete
  3. I liked it, but I honestly wish it had been a little more grim. It would've given Bernal a chance to really shine. On paper I thought the film would be a major awards contender.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did too. I'm not sure where it went wrong, honestly.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum