Indie Gems: Hush

Shhhh...

Maddie (Kate Siegel) is a deaf author who lives a solitary life. She's trying to finish her next book in her secluded mountain home. One night, a masked man (John Gallagher Jr.) shows up and starts terrorizing her in her home. 

We get to know enough of Maddie and her headspace before the man shows up to inevitably ruin everything. The film doesn't hold back on the creep factor. He cuts the power, so Maddie is literally in the dark and can't hear a thing. The atmosphere is astounding in that regard. There's so much quiet dread. 

I said this earlier when I reviewed the equally brilliant Don't Breathe, but I normally don't do home invasion movies. The buzz around this one was so strong that I started it without even seeing a trailer. Siegel (who co-wrote the film) is fantastic, and I've been a huge Gallagher fan since I watched him in the Newsroom. It's certainly a different type of role.

Scary and uncomfortable, I can't recommend this one enough.

Grade: A-

Watched on: Netflix Instant

Memorable Quote: "You've seen it now." - Man (John Gallagher Jr.)

Comments

  1. Arghhhhh, home invasion movies are right up at the top of my 'nope' list when it comes to horrors but this one sounds (bad choice of words) awesome! I'm gonna have to psych myself up for this one.
    - Allie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I nope them most of the time too but this is worth watching.

      Delete
  2. I think this is the first home invasion movie I've seen and I loved it. I really wasn't expecting such a good horror.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really not a fan of the genre because it's hard to be unique with it, but this one was.

      Delete
  3. Hahaha, yes! I loved this one when I saw it, as it's really creepy as f--k. The guy torturing her is such a dick.

    Such a great idea, and executed so well, and as you said, right up there with Don't Breathe. Shit...imagine that double feature!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I put it in my Netflix queue after reading your review, actually. That would be an excellent double feature.

      Delete
  4. "So much quiet dread." That sums this film up, perfectly. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every time I see something about this I think of that awful B-movie with Paltrow and Lange and I ignore this...but I have to remember that this is a different movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen that one, but this one is so great you should watch it!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum