2018 Academy Award Nominations


The Oscar nominations are finally here! There were some snubs and surprises with yesterday's nominations (though I'm writing this post immediately after they've been announced) Here are thoughts: 

Best Picture
Call Me by Your Name
Darkest Hour
Dunkirk
Get Out
Lady Bird
Phantom Thread
The Post
The Shape of Water
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
For the love of God, just use 10 slots! It's not that hard. Mudbound or Wind River could've been here too. Darkest Hour looks so out of place. I'm kind of surprised The Florida Project isn't here either. 

Lead Actor
Timothée Chalamet, “Call Me by Your Name”
Daniel Day-Lewis, “Phantom Thread”
Daniel Kaluuya, “Get Out”
Gary Oldman, “Darkest Hour”
Denzel Washington, “Roman J. Israel, Esq.”
James Franco was snubbed. I'm sorry, but he was. I'm actually pretty bent out of shape over this snub because it was one of my favorite lead performances of the year. The only person I care about in this category now is Daniel Kaluuya.

Lead Actress
Sally Hawkins, “The Shape of Water”
Frances McDormand, “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”
Margot Robbie, “I, Tonya”
Saoirse Ronan, “Lady Bird”
Meryl Streep, “The Post”
This is how everyone expected it to go. I'm so happy for Saoirse, I wish she was going to be the one winning. Even if I haven't seen I, Tonya it's nice to see Margo there too on principle. 

Supporting Actor
Willem Dafoe, “The Florida Project”
Woody Harrelson, “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”
Richard Jenkins, “The Shape of Water”
Christopher Plummer, “All the Money in the World”
Sam Rockwell, “Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri”
Armie Hammer wasn't thirsty enough. Plummer's nom feels like a pat on the back for me. You can't tell me he was better than Rob Morgan in Mudbound. I'm sorry. I'm just here to watch Sam Rockwell finally get nominated AND win something. 

Supporting Actress
Mary J. Blige, “Mudbound”
Allison Janney, “I, Tonya”
Lesley Manville, “Phantom Thread”
Laurie Metcalf, “Lady Bird”
Octavia Spencer, “The Shape of Water”
Hong Chau missed after being nominated for the Globes and SAGs. I haven't seen her performance, but that's kind of a bummer. I hope that publicity at least gets her more roles. 

Director:
“Dunkirk,” Christopher Nolan
“Get Out,” Jordan Peele
“Lady Bird,” Greta Gerwig
“Phantom Thread,” Paul Thomas Anderson
“The Shape of Water,” Guillermo del Toro
YASSSS GRETA AND JORDAN! But holy shit I did not expect Three Billboards to get snubbed here of all places. Voters really liked Phantom Thread. I'm glad Christopher Nolan is FINALLY getting his due. I hope he wins, even though del Toro seems to have this in the bag. 

Animated Feature
The Boss Baby
The Breadwinner
Coco
Ferdinand
Loving Vincent
Seriously, fuck The Boss Baby. What do they have against Lego Movies? Lego Batman was the best Batman related thing that came out this year. 


Animated Short
DeKalb Elementary
The Eleven O’Clock
My Nephew Emmett
The Silent Child
Watu Wote/All of Us

Adapted Screenplay
Call Me by Your Name
The Disaster Artist
Logan
Molly’s Game
Mudbound
I haven't seen CMBYN yet but the biggest surprise here was Logan! That is a fantastic choice that I did not see coming out all. I'm psyched to see The Disaster Artist here too since Franco was snubbed, and Mudbound and Molly's Game are great too. 

Original Screenplay
The Big Sick
Get Out
Lady Bird
The Shape of Water
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri,
So happy for The Big Sick! I love all the nominees here (haven't seen Shape of Water yet, though) How is Gerwig's Boyfriend, king of passive aggressive, Noah Baumbach going to handle all these Oscar nominations for Greta? lol

Cinematography
Blade Runner 2049
Darkest Hour
Dunkirk
Mudbound
The Shape of Water
Rachel Morrison becomes the first woman EVER to be nominated in this category. I was expecting a Mudbound snub so I'm so happy to see her here. Still, if Roger Deakins doesn't win this, I'll scream

Best Documentary Feature
Abacus: Small Enough to Jail
Faces Places
Icarus
Last Men in Aleppo
Strong Island
I have seen none of these, but three of them are on Netflix so I should fix that by the time this airs. 

Best Documentary Short Subject
Edith+Eddie
Heaven is a Traffic Jam on the 405
Heroin(e)
Knife Skills
Traffic Stop

Best Live Action Short Film
Dear Basketball
Garden Party
Lou
Negative Space
Revolting Rhymes

Best Foreign Language Film
A Fantastic Woman (Chile)
The Insult (Lebanon)
Loveless (Russia)
On Body and Soul (Hungary)
The Square” (Sweden)
I haven't seen any of these either, but I have The Square in my Netflix queue and it comes available on the 30th of this month. 

Film Editing
Baby Driver
Dunkirk
I, Tonya
The Shape of Water
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
This is the only category you will hear me say "Okay, Baby Driver makes sense here."

Sound Editing
Baby Driver
Blade Runner 2049
Dunkirk
The Shape of Water
Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Sound Mixing
Baby Driver
Blade Runner 2049
Dunkirk
The Shape of Water
Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Production Design
Beauty and the Beast
Blade Runner 2049
Darkest Hour
Dunkirk
The Shape of Water
With all the love Phantom Thread got elsewhere, I'm shocked not to see it here. That film was beautiful, yet trash like Beauty and the Beast gets nominated? Gurl...

Original Score
Dunkirk
Phantom Thread
The Shape of Water
Star Wars: The Last Jedi
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
I really need to see The Shape of Water...

Original Song
Mighty River - Mudbound
Mystery of Love - Call Me by Your Name
Remember Me - Coco
Stand Up for Something - Marshall
This Is Me - The Greatest Showman
You know "This is Me" was written specifically for an Oscar nomination, right? Personally as far as The Greatest Showman goes, I thought Re-Write The Stars was better. Nice to see Mary J. Blige as a double nominee for Mudbound. 

Makeup and Hair
Darkest Hour
Victoria and Abdul
Wonder
This category is dead to me after Suicide Squad won. I'm still bitter. 

Costume Design
Beauty and the Beast
Darkest Hour
Phantom Thread
The Shape of Water
Victoria and Abdul
Beauty and the Beast is still trash. 

Visual Effects
Blade Runner 2049
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Kong: Skull Island,
War For the Planet of the Apes
Star Wars: The Last Jedi
I will scream if War for the Planet of the Apes does not win this. 

Comments

  1. I still can't believe McDonagh was snubbed. I guess I'll have to root for Nolan. Franco's was my favorite performance of the year and now I don't have anyone to root for in that category. Also, where is Idris Elba?

    I'm so happy Logan got nominated for best screenplay. Best picture would have been better, but it's better than nothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Logan was the biggest surprise for me. I didn't think that would get anywhere near the Oscars even though it deserved to be. I am rooting for Nolan in director on principle. It's ridiculous that this is his FIRST nomination.

      Delete
  2. I just watched Dunkirk this past weekend along with the original 1958 version and I think the 58 version is better. Dunkirk's music is beyond wretched. It almost destroyed the film for me because I did not find it suspenseful but irritating to the Nth degree. I also laugh when I saw the Condos and glass buildings in the background which were obviously built in the 90's or even 2000's but definitely after WW2 since Dunkirk, the town, was bombed. I think Logan should have been up there as well. I haven't seen James Franko's performance but, if he did do what the women say, then that hurt his chances which i think it did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it hurt his chances too, which is a shame because at least one of those women, whom I believed at first lost nearly all of her credibility upon more research.

      Delete
  3. I agree! Fuck Boss Baby! The Lego Batman Movie should've been nominated and no nominations for The Beguiled and Wonder Woman is BULLSHIT!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't understand what the Academy has against Lego movies? They nominated Everything is Awesome for Best Song but both Lego Movie and Lego Batman fail to get animation noms? Whaaatt? lol

      Delete
  4. I'm overall really happy with the nominations. Since Logan was nominated for the WGA and the USC Scripter Award I wasn't too surprised to see it here but still, it's kind of amazing.

    Yes. You do need to see Shape of Water. It's my favorite of the year.

    I'm disappointed Franco didn't get in (and I think the accusations came out too late to have any real impact), but I'm inconsolable that Michael Stuhlbarg wasn't nominated for Call Me By Your Name. He's such a good actor, he's in everything, and to say he nails the big monologue near the end of the film is an understatement.

    I don't know WTF happened with Darkest Hour and Beauty & the Beast, though. I mean, who saw Darkest Hour and thought, "why yes, those ARE the best costumes I've seen this year"?!?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stuhlbarg is awesome. I haven't seen CMBYN yet but I've seen so many films/shows of his. I first noticed him in Boardwalk Empire

      I'm glad you share the same hatred I do for Beauty and the Beast.

      Delete
  5. Call me old fashioned, but Best Picture needs to go back to 5. This “all-inclusive” strategy still doesn’t work, and it paves way for, as you said, out of place nominees.

    Denzel definitely took Franco’s spot. And Martin McDonagh’s director snub was a surprise, but yay Nolan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't want it to go back to five, I want them to pick a solid 10 every year and let voters pick 10 choices too (apparently they still only pick 5)

      Delete
  6. Sam! Sam! Sam!

    I cannot believe Baby Driver has more Oscar nominations than Logan. Oh sweet Jesus....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so out of the loop with all these noms, I'm just gonna smile and nod when the discussions get heated as we get closer.

      Hahhaha....Beauty and the Beast. What. The. F--k.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum