Review: Phantom Thread

Let me sew your secrets.

Reynolds Woodcock (Daniel Day-Lewis) is a sought after dressmaker in 1950's London. He lives with his sister, Cyril (Lesley Manville) and their house is full of employees that help create Reynolds' work. To say he's eccentric is putting it a bit lightly. One day, he meets a waitress named Alma (Vicky Krieps) who becomes his new muse. 

Now, calling Reynolds "eccentric" is really just a nice way of saying that the guy is kind of a twat. Think Sheldon Cooper only fashion is his science. We open the film with him being utterly bored with his last muse/lover, and his sister casually tell him she's "getting fat waiting around for you to love her again" so when he starts his affair with Alma you know it's bound to go south at one point or another. And it does, then it goes in a whole other direction.

Confusion has never looked so beautiful. And Phantom Thread is a beautiful movie. The production design and costumes are exquisite and the score is easily one of the most beautiful of the year. But I was not expecting this movie to be so damn weird. To be fair, I went in expecting it to be a bit pretentious and while it toes that line occasionally it really took me by surprise. I'm not sure if it was a good surprise or not, This is a film that's going to have to sit with me for a while.

Daniel Day-Lewis is excellent in his final film performance. Of course, I don't really believe this will be his last but that's what we're calling it for now. He captures Reynolds' quirks well. Krieps is equally as alluring as Alma and Manville plays my favorite character in the film. She's completely aware of how ridiculous 90% of the things around her are, but she rolls with it. The main star however is Paul Thomas Anderson. This man can direct. Some of the things he does with sound in this film is remarkable. While this won't go down as one of my favorites of his, you can't deny how good he is behind the lens.

Recommended: Yes

Grade: B-

Memorable Quote: "He wants you to fuck off now." - Alma (Vicky Krieps)

Comments

  1. I do want to see this film and I love Day Lewis and will await his next film:) how many times does one hear that someone will retire and they always come back. The only one I know who didn’t was Greta Garbo. I thought this film would be weird and his character not likeable

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I know he's picky with roles but I still don't think he'll fully retire. Not with a director wife, she'll drag him back at least. lol

      Delete
  2. I hope I get to see this soon. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved when it got weird. I had to think about it for a while too. The score was gorgeous. Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. At least you liked it. I think it's a great film as I'm happy for P.T. Anderson getting a Best Directing nod as now I just need to see Guillermo's film and then make my choice. After all, P.T. Anderson puts my lazy fat-ass in the seat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can definitely see why PTA was nominated for this film. His direction is the strongest point, IMO.

      Delete
  5. I was pleasantly surprised by this, because I was bored silly by that terrible trailer. It is absolutely gorgeous, but the ending lost me (but then, I almost never like Anderson's endings).

    I'm so glad you called out Lesley Manville! I thought she was utterly hilarious perfection and I'm so happy for her Oscar nomination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So am I! She definitely deserves it. God the ending of this film was wild. lol

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum