Review: Call Me By Your Name

And I'll call you by yours.

Every summer Professor Perlman (Michael Stuhlbarg) invites a grad student to his home in Italy to be his research assistant. This year, he's invited Oliver (Armie Hammer) who forms a close bond with his 17 year old son Elio. (Timothee Chalamet)

The film practically begs you to visit Italy. It gives off this laid back endless summer vibe that's absolutely gorgeous. It works beautifully with how conflicted Elio is. Imagine if he were brooding around a gloomy city? It wouldn't work as well. It takes its time getting Elio and Oliver to admit their feelings. So much time in fact that I was starting to get a bit frustrated. I felt as if the film got too caught up in its own beauty to get to the point. Slow burns are nice but this one teeters on dragging out far too long.

I can see why so many people stan Timothee Chalamet. He has a unique face and he's wonderful here. He's very convincing in his crush, lust, love, whatever you like to call it. At times it's all three. Not to mention he plays the piano wonderfully. Michael Stuhlbarg is also great as his understanding father. He's such an underrated actor and this is one of the best performances I've seen him give. The weak link for me - and I know this will be an unpopular opinion is Armie Hammer.

I didn't read the book this is based on, but I read a synopsis of it, and Hammer's character is supposed to be 24. Hammer doesn't look like he's seen 24 in a while. He was 29 when he filmed this, but he easily looks like a man in his 30's. I can see at times why they cast him in this role. He's tall and "handsome" to some but I was never not aware of the fact that he looked far older than his character was meant to be. I know, I know, the age of consent is 14 in Italy but it still threw me off a few times. 

Aside from Hammer and some pacing issues, Call Me By Your Name is a lovely film with a one of the best scores this year. 

Recommended: Yes

Grade: B

Memorable Quote: "Right now, there's sorrow, pain. Don't kill it and with it the joy you've felt." - Professor Perlman (Michael Stuhlbarg)

Comments

  1. I had no idea Hammer's character was supposed to be 24. I'm glad you enjoyed this more than me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if knowing that made it worse or not lol

      Delete
  2. I do want to see this but my local multiplex isn't playing this film nor are they playing The Shape of Water as I doubt they'll play either film. That makes me sad and angry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww I hope they get them late like mine did. They just opened these last week.

      Delete
  3. Crickey, I mean Hammer is wonderful to look at but there's no way he could pass for 24!
    This one was just too much of a slow burner for me, but I sure as hell want to visit Italy now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I feel bad for nagging him for that because I did the same in Nocturnal Animals but omg this guy is always miscast.

      Delete
  4. I definitely agree with you about Armie issue. He looks older than his age already and his acting is.. I don't know. but other than that the movie makes me feel all the emotions that it conveys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hammer looks very adult you're right, but I also didn't know he was supposed to be 24, so that didn't throw me off.

    However, I did find Hammer... odd. In his acting. Though it also striked me as the type of character he was playing, maybe? I'd have to read the book I guess.

    I really liked this movie too, and Chalamet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just find him wooden. Chalamet was fantastic though.

      Delete
  6. I get the Hammer thing - he's perfect for the part, but looks at least a decade older than Chalamet even though the difference is only supposed to be seven years. I found his acting great though, so it didn't bother me as much.

    I'm with you on the slow burn feeling too slow for the first half of the movie. But once Elio and Oliver start hooking up, it's great, and on a second watch the slow burn worked much better.

    GOD Stuhlbarg is so freaking perfect in this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stuhlbard should have an oscar nom for this. :( I wish i could like Hammer as much as others but I just can't. I try. lol

      Delete
  7. I definitely agree it was slow burning in the first half and that Armie was a weak link. I can't decide if it's actually him or his character that could have been better. Michael Stuhlbarg was so great and deserved more screen time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was him, because I would've really liked his character had it been played by a different actor.

      Delete
  8. On my list of Hulu movies downloads, the ending of this movie is sad tbh.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum