2018 Golden Globe Winners


Brought to you by Bartenura wine, The Golden Globes was one of the best shows overall I've seen in years. Seth Meyers was a tremendous host. On the red carpet, Neil Patrick Harris wondered how tonight would go. If it would take a serious tone in the wake of the #TIMESUP movement, but instead Seth came out with a ton of jokes and nailed every single one. He also told the most brutal Harvey Weinstien joke of all time so I really hope he hires security afterwords.



Oprah won the Cecil B. Demille award and I cried like a baby during her speech. It was beautiful and the world does not deserve Oprah. Actually, we do. Oprah for president, please. 

Let's get on to the winners. Remember how I thought The Post was going to be a big hit here? lol nope. Should've stuck with my Three Billboards predictions. The winners are in blue.  I went 15/24. I did a lot better with my TV picks than the film ones. 

Best Motion Picture - Drama
"Call Me by Your Name"
"Dunkirk"
"The Post"
"The Shape of Water"
"Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri"
I originally had Three Billboards winning, then I changed last minute because I thought they'd go nuts over The Post. Nope. I have only seen Three Billboards and Dunkirk in this category but I'm so happy for this win. Wonderful film. 

Best Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
"The Disaster Artist"
"Get Out"
"The Greatest Showman"
"I, Tonya"
"Lady Bird"
I love Lady Bird and I'm so happy for Greta and this win, but I'm legitimately surprised Get Out didn't win it. With all the drama of putting it in this category to begin with, I expected it to win. 

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama
Jessica Chastain, "Molly's Game"
Sally Hawkins, "The Shape of Water"
Frances McDormand, "Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri"
Meryl Streep, "The Post"
Michelle Williams, "All the Money in the World"
Frances hates everything and getting up there looked painful for her. The sensors really screwed up her speech though. I think they were muting words that didn't even need to be muted. It was really choppy. 

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama
Timothée Chalamet, "Call Me by Your Name"
Daniel Day-Lewis, "Phantom Thread"
Tom Hanks, "The Post"
Gary Oldman, "Darkest Hour"
Denzel Washington, "Roman J. Israel, Esq."
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Okay, I know I shouldn't judge because I haven't seen it. I'm just bitter because I want Franco to have this Oscar. 


Yaaaasss queen

Best Actress in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
Judi Dench, "Victoria & Abdul"
Margot Robbie, "I, Tonya"
Saoirse Ronan, "Lady Bird"
Emma Stone, "Battle of the Sexes"
Helen Mirren, "The Leisure Seeker"
SO happy for Saoirse! I could dance. 

Best Director
Guillermo del Toro, "The Shape of Water"
Martin McDonagh, "Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri"
Christopher Nolan, "Dunkirk"
Ridley Scott, "All The Money in the World"
Steven Spielberg, "The Post"
Natalie Portman threw a massive amount of shade at the all male nominees in this category. Those dudes all looked so awkward afterwards. Guillermo's speech was sweet, though.  

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
Steve Carell, "Battle of the Sexes"
Ansel Elgort, "Baby Driver"
James Franco, "The Disaster Artist"
Hugh Jackman, "The Greatest Showman"
Daniel Kaluuya, "Get Out"
I'm so happy Franco won this. I was rooting for him or Kaluuya (who seemed to be having a really shitty time. Why was he not sitting next to Aaron Taylor-Johnson? Side note, see Chatroom) He brought Tommy Wiseau on stage and then blocked him from talking. And he thanked his mom for having his brother so that was adorable. 


Hugh Jackman's glorious loser face.

Best Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture
Mary J. Blige, "Mudbound"
Hong Chau, "Downsizing"
Allison Janney, "I, Tonya"
Laurie Metcalf, "Lady Bird"
Octavia Spencer, "The Shape of Water"
This was a big surprise to me even though she was my 2nd place pick. I really thought Metcalf would win, especially with Lady Bird getting love everywhere else. I'll admit, when Janney's name was called I thought Robbie was going to beat Saoirse. Either way, I can't wait to see I, Tonya. 

Best Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture
Willem Dafoe, "The Florida Project"
Armie Hammer, "Call Me by Your Name"
Richard Jenkins, "The Shape of Water"
Christopher Plummer, "All the Money in the World"
Sam Rockwell, "Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri"
I squealed when he won. My kid actually asked if I was okay. He is so overdue. and until Oprah came on stage and wiped the floor with everyone, he had the best acceptance speech when he thanked his director for "not being a dick."


Guillermo had to tell the orchestra to shut up.

Best Original Score in a Motion Picture
"Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri"
"The Shape of Water"
"Phantom Thread"
"The Post"
"Dunkirk"
Wooo I guessed right!

Best Screenplay in a Motion Picture
"The Shape of Water"
"Lady Bird"
"The Post"
"Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri"
"Molly's Game"
Film Twitter seemed to lose their shit over this win. I loved Lady Bird and Three Billboards pretty equally so it was a win/win for me, but I was surprised at all the hate I was reading. 

Best Motion Picture - Foreign Language
"A Fantastic Woman"
"First They Killed My Father"
"In the Fade"
"Loveless"
"The Square"
This came out of nowhere. I've heard great things about this film but I really expected First They Killed My Father take it. Cudos to whoever was operating the camera in not focusing on Norman Reedus as Diane Kruger got up. 

Best Animated Film
"The Boss Baby"
"The Breadwinner"
"Ferdinand"
"Coco"
"Loving Vincent"


Best TV series - Drama
"The Crown"
"Game of Thrones"
"The Handmaid's Tale"
"Stranger Things"
"This Is Us"
I'm happy for this win. This show was absolutely phenomenal. 

Best performance by Actress in a TV series - Drama
Caitriona Balfe, "Outlander"
Claire Foy, "The Crown"
Maggie Gyllenhaal, "The Deuce"
Katherine Langford, "13 Reasons Why"
Elisabeth Moss, "The Handmaid's Tale"
Another really strong category, but Elisabeth was great. 

Best performance by an Actor in a TV Series - Drama
Sterling K. Brown, "This is Us"
Freddie Highmore, "The Good Doctor"
Bob Odenkirk, "Better Call Saul"
Liev Schreiber, "Ray Donovan"
Jason Bateman, "Ozark"
I really expected the rule of Freshman show to kick in here but Sterling repeated his Emmy win.  

Best TV series - Musical or Comedy
"Black-ish"
"Marvelous Mrs. Maisel"
"Master of None"
"SMILF"
"Will & Grace"
The HFPA love these Amazon shows but how much do you want to bet this show never gets nominated again and goes the way of Mozart in the Jungle?  


Best performance by an Actor in a TV series - Musical or Comedy
Anthony Anderson, "Black-ish"
Aziz Ansari "Master of None"
Kevin Bacon, "I Love Dick"
William H. Macy, "Shameless"
Eric McCormack, "Will and Grace"
I got this one wrong, but I'm happy for Aziz. I really need to watch Master of None. 

Best performance by an Actress in a TV series - Musical or Comedy
Pamela Adlon, "Better Things"
Alison Brie, "Glow"
Issa Rae, "Insecure"
Rachel Brosnahan, "The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel"
Frankie Shaw, "SMILF"
I was rooting for Frankie or Issa, but I guessed this one right too.  


Women who support other women

Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television
"Big Little Lies"
"Fargo"
"Feud: Bette and Joan"
"The Sinner"
"Top of the Lake: China Girl"
I can't argue with this win because Big Little Lies was perfection but it's a shame a show as good as Feud had to go up against it. That show was wonderful as well. I love how supportive the women of Big Little Lies are of each other. It's a beautiful thing to see. 

Best Performance by an Actor in a Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television
Robert De Niro, "The Wizard of Lies"
Jude Law, "The Young Pope"
Kyle MacLachlan, "Twin Peaks"
Ewan McGregor, "Fargo"
Geoffrey Rush, "Genius"
I was not expecting him to win so this was a pleasant surprise. Disney owes me an Obi Wan Kenobi movie.  

Best Performance by an Actress in a Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television
Jessica Biel, "The Sinner"
Nicole Kidman, "Big Little Lies"
Jessica Lange, "Feud: Bette and Joan"
Susan Sarandon, "Feud: Bette and Joan"
Reese Witherspoon, "Big Little Lies"
Queen. I love this win and she said the sweetest thing to her husband at the end of her speech. 

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television
Alfred Molina, "Feud"
Alexander Skarsgard, "Big Little Lies"
David Thewlis, "Fargo"
David Harbour, "Stranger Things"
Christian Slater, "Mr. Robot"
Another win I'm happy about. I think I drooled a little when he was on stage though. 


Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television
Laura Dern, "Big Little Lies"
Ann Dowd, "The Handmaid's Tale"
Chrissy Metz, "This is Us"
Michelle Pfeiffer, "The Wizard of Lies"
Shailene Woodley, "Big Little Lies"
Confession: I think Shailene Woodley was far better than Laura Dern in Big Little Lies, and I'm really bummed she didn't win a single thing for it. 


Cheers, everyone!

Comments

  1. Big Little Lies was so big last year, and it deserved all the praise it got. I agree with you on Shailene Woodley. I love Laura Dern but Woodley should have gotten more recognition than she did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad others agree. She got screwed out of awards when she was in the Descendants too, and now this again.

      Delete
  2. I loved that diss PO'TMAN MOTHAFUCKER did as it did surprise Guillermito whom I'm glad won Best Director as I'm sure he took the diss in stride.

    I saw that speech that Oprah did this morning and all I did was raise my fist in the air. If she is to become president, please..... please...... please......... have her..... DELETE! DELETE! DELETE! DELETE!!!!!! The horror that we're in now as Dumb Man is now here in Atlanta and causing traffic problems just to see a football game. I hate that asshole. I wish I could say a lot of things to him but a lot of include racist slurs that I don't think is bad enough to call him. I really loathe that motherfucking moron.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're preaching to the choir. I consistently wake up and think "Jesus. I can't believe he's our president."

      But Dumpster fire aside, Oprah's speech was beautiful and I just want to watch it on repeat and cry.

      Delete
  3. Oprah was great! Amaz8ng how s(r can command the entire audience and 8 mean entire! I get the whole women hear me roar and it’s about time but why did no one give c4edit to Canadian Rose McGowan even if she is pissed that people who knew still said nothing and no one talks about this huge aspect because she is right about this. Now, I truly believe Meryl Streep did not know because many people would not know and this is not abnormal but so many did know and just kept quiet. I also think being in black was the wrong colour because it is a funeral colour and we should be showing ourselves as powerful so why not red? Blue? White? I think of red because, like the Phoenix, which is red, it rises from the ashes. Anyhoo....loved Sam Rockwell’s Speech and I thought Seth was excellent and loved his Weinstein jab.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting about the dress color. Maybe the depressing vibe is what they were going for since it's a depressing subject?

      Delete
  4. I had no idea Three Billboards was going to perform so well, but I'm thrilled it did. Wonder if it'll have a similar showing at the Oscars. I'm thinking it'll be a bit too "much" for them, given the current climate, but we shall see.

    And yeah, what the hell was up with the mutes during McDormand's speech?! She said "shite" once, but so what.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought it was going to be too much here and boy was I wrong. I do not get what was going on during her speech were they afraid and doing it just to be safe? lol

      Delete
  5. Oprah speech was amazing. I bawled like an idiot. Rockwell winning was wonderful to witness and Franco, Wiseau and Dave being brought to stage combined with whatever the hell that Jackman's expression was was seriously one of the greatest GG moments I've seen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackman must have never seen The Room nor even heard of it for that reaction to Franco's voice. lol

      Delete
  6. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Shailene Woodley also deserves a win, she's terrific in embodying such a fractured mom character.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are actually so good at this! And YES you really need to watch Master of None! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum