2023 Blind Spot Series: The Fly (1958)

 

Synopsis: Helene (Patricia Owens) admits to her husband's (David Hedison) murder after a disastrous mistake happens in his lab.

The Fly is a film I was always familiar with by its VHS cover. I used to walk up and down the horror section at my local video store as a kid, and this was one that always stuck out. Because of the film's artwork, image my surprise when this wasn't a campy story about a dude accidentally turning himself into a fly.

I haven't seen the Cronenberg remake of this either, but I'll likely start it after I post this review. I was really expecting this to be more of a creature feature than a mystery and I'm not mad at what I got. At a quick 90 minutes, I was completely engaged with watching this mystery unravel. Owens has to do a lot of the heavy lifting acting wise. Unfortunately the supporting cast can be a bit rough, but she was delightful. 

Walter White's obsession with a fly contaminating his lab in an episode of Breaking Bad is now fully justified. (it always was, but now I get more context) I just dug this from start to finish. The only reason I'm not giving it an A is because the majority of the actors were pretty bad, even for 1950's standards.

Grade: B+

Comments

  1. I've never seen the original film but the Cronenberg remake is an entirely different beast of a film as it served more as an allegory about AIDS at that time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You probably saw on letterboxd, but I did catch the Cronenberg one now as well! So gross lol

      Delete
  2. Nice choice for Halloween month! I saw this years ago and appreciated it for what it was, drive-in fodder with a fun concept and a better than average cast for this sort of B movie. It was actually more sad than scary and I imagine it felt that way even when it came out in the days when "horror" was much more on the gentle disconcerting side than it is now.

    The remake with Jeff Goldblum is a completely other beast with much more vivid special effects though it retains that tinge of sadness. Both Jeff and Geena Davis give excellent performances in it (and married briefly after appearing together in the film).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I caught the 80's versions as well and......ew. I definitely prefer the story of this version better.

      Delete
  3. Wow I didn't even realize there was an earlier The Fly movie. I'm only familiar w/ Jeff Goldblum's one which was terrifying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is very different! I like it a lot more.

      Delete
  4. Poor Vincent Price and Herbert Marshall. I like these actors. The ending always freaks me out.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum