Review: The Creator

 


In the future, a war between humans and AI rages on. A former solider, Joshua (John David Washington) is tasked with going back to the AI-accepting "New Asia" to locate a weapon that may threaten humanity.

AI has been a hot topic this year. Not only in our real life, but in our movies. A sci fi action thriller with a talented lead actor seemed right up my alley, but unfortunately The Creator suffers under the weight of its ideas.

I stress the word "ideas" because that's what the film felt like. A series of ideas, some good, but ultimately not tight enough to form a strong script. Joshua has gone through some serious trauma. Some we are privy to, but most of it happened before the events of the film take place. When he meets Alphie (Madeleine Yuna Voyles) is when the film is at its most interesting, but the script is so erratic I felt like we were just going through the motions. Joshua's insane plot armor didn't help.

Washington is good, but this film should've been more about Alphie. She's the most interesting character but she's the Maguffin, so we don't get much beyond that. I think there was a lot of potential here, and it just didn't come together. I wouldn't call it bad by any means. If anything, it reminds me a bit of Life. A sci fi film that on the surface looked good, but ultimately I'm going to forget most of it. 

Grade: C


Comments

  1. yeah, that's about where landed with it too

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s Birgit…this sounds like a big yawn to me. I’m kind of sick of AI and I don’t think it’s the best idea because I feel like we are making ourselves dumber. I missed a few of your posts so t8me to look back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll wait for it on streaming real soon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum