Review: Flora and Son


Flora (Eve Hewson) is a mess of a single mother living in Dublin and struggling to connect with her teenage son Max. (Oren Kinlan) She gets a guitar with the idea of giving it to him, but when he doesn't want it, she decides to learn to play herself. Taking lessons from the LA based Jeff (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) over the computer. 

Director John Carney, shitty opinions aside, makes some damn good movies. And here my fantasy of being taught guitar by a bearded Joseph Gordon-Levitt is on full display! I'm jealous.

JGL thirst aside, I adored this film. I've been excited for it since it premiered at Sundance. Apple TV required the streaming rights - not surprising with their close relationship with JGL and Hewson - and now it's available to stream everywhere. Why I'd love to see this in theaters, I'm glad it's accessible.

Flora and Max have an awful relationship. They speak to each other in ways I could never imagine speaking to my own son. Yet, you root for both of these assholes despite their flaws. While the music might not be as catchy as the songs in Once or Begin Again, it's lovely to listen to and feels very true to the story.

Hewson is great as Flora. I'm not familiar with her as an actress (She's the daughter of Bono, which is very cool) Her chemistry with JGL, Kinlan, and Jack Raynor who plays her ex is great. She has a few moments that made me laugh hysterically.

This film is definitely worth the price of an Apple TV subscription (or a free trial through Target Circle because they always come in clutch)

Grade: A-


Comments

  1. I do hope to see this next month though I wouldn't be proud of being the daughter of an overbearing turd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Well, recognition wise. Either way, it's a good movie!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum