Review: How To Blow Up a Pipeline

 


A group of environmental activists all from different backgrounds come together in west Texas to turn their activism into terrorism by blowing up an oil pipeline. There's college students Xochitl (Ariela Barer) and Shawn (Marcus Schribner) wanting to change the world. Burnouts Rowan and Logan (Kristine Forseth and Lukas Gage) Dewayne (Jake Weary), a man who lost his house to an oil corporation. Michael (Forrest Goodluck), a native man living on a reservation in North Dakota who knows all too well how much oil has changed that region. And a couple, Theo and Alisha (Sasha Lane and Jayme Lawson) who are dealing with a life changing illness as a result of these factories. 

I had been trying to get my hands on a screener for this earlier in the year with no avail, so finding out it's now available on Hulu made me so happy. I'm glad it's getting a platform where a lot of eyes will be on it. I have not read the book this loosely based on, so I cannot speak to any changes from text to film.

The film moves in and out of present time and introducing character's backstories. Mostly with success. It sometimes makes for some choppy editing but overall it worked well. The film leaves you on the edge of your seat. Not just with their mission, but with other secrets that pop up as well.

At just under 90 minutes, the film is quite brisk and probably could've used a little bit more time to flesh out some characters. I had a lot of questions about Michael, and even seeing the aftermath of a choice Xochitl and Theo make at one point would've been nice. But those are small nitpicks. This one is definitely worth your time.

Grade: B

Comments

  1. Ah, so it was my Firefox browser that kept me from commenting. I do hope to see this real soon now that I have Hulu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First Chrome Incognito and now Firefox? What does Blogger want from us?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum