Thursday Movie Picks - Work Place and Cults

 


This week's theme from Wandering Through The Shelves is technically Cults/Secrets Societies but I accidentally skipped a week while I was out of the country so I'm doubling up. This week I'm talking about horror films in the work place and cults! All the fun stuff. Here's what I came up with.

WORKPLACE


1) The Belko Experiement -
All three of my picks in this category walk the line between fun and gory well. In this case, employees are trapped inside their work building as they find themselves part of a twisted social experiment. 


2) Mayhem -
Another case of employees trapped inside their office building, but in this case it's due to a virus spreading making them act strangely. The delightful Steven Yeun leads this one. 


3) Koferensen -
I stumbled upon this Swedish slasher film on Netflix the other day, and it was wild. Employees at a work retreat find themselves hunted by a serial killer. 

CULTS/SECRET SOCIETIES


1) Martyrs -
I cannot in good faith recommend this movie to anyone because I hated it. It's so unnecessarily brutal, but it's certainly a...secret society movie. 


2) Hereditary -
"Hail Paemon" IYKYK


3) Silent Hill -
I still remember my friend turning to me after we watched this movie and saying "I think we're going to hell?" It's gross and wild and definitely cultish. I lost touch with this friend. Hopefully he never saw Martyrs. 



Comments

  1. The Belko Experiment was better than I expected for something that felt a great deal like a workplace version of Battle Royale.

    I'm with you on Martyrs in terms of recommendation. I'll never watch it again, but there's a part of me that is okay with having seen it--it does have something it wants to say, but it's pretty awful in getting there.

    Silent Hill was better than I expected it would be, but not as good as I wanted. Hereditary, though, took me two tries to get through. I got to "the" scene in that the first time and noped out for a couple of months.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you that Belko Experiment was far better than I expected. It holds up on rewatch too. I have the same feelings about Silent Hill. While I don't love Hereditary as much as others, I give it major props for totally blindsiding me with *that* scene in the middle.

      Delete
  2. The Cult and Secret Societies is supposed to be TV series since it's the Halloween/Television Edition.
    Workplaces - The Conference I know it was added to Netflix recently so I might watch it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum