Review: Sanctuary


Hal (Christopher Abbott) is about to inherit a massive hotel chain and decides to break off his relationship with his dominatrix, Rebecca. (Margaret Qualley) She's not okay with this.

Sanctuary feels like a play. It's two actors verbally sparring in a hotel room and spar they do. Abbott and Qualley are fantastic with each other. The type of Sub/Dom they're participating in - one that involves no touching whatsoever was really interesting to me and not something I would've expected. 

Sure, you could say Rebecca is way over the top. There's so much to their relationship that we didn't see, which makes her reaction feel pretty intense, but a film like this is more of an actors showcase if anything. It's not to say the script is bad, it isn't. I'm just walking away from it with more appreciation with other parts of the film.

The production design is beautiful. I love how the hotel room has striking reds and greens. It feels fancy enough for Hal's job, but in a way it's dated. Kind of like some of Hal's ideals.

I have to say I laughed my ass off at the ending. I feel like maybe that wasn't the intention of the filmmaker, but it got funnier the more I thought about it. I'd love to hear how you took it if you seen it. 

Sanctuary is streaming now on Hulu.

Grade: B

Comments

  1. I haven't even heard of it. I'm not sure it's my kind of thing. You missed Thursday Movie Picks last week!? I hope you continue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was traveling for work! I completely forgot Halloween month is every week.

      Delete
  2. I hope to see this within the year as I just like S&M shit.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum