Review: Cold Copy


Official Synopsis: 
An ambitious journalism student, Mia (Bel Powley) falls under the thrall of an esteemed yet cutthroat news reporter, Diane(Tracee Ellis Ross) whom she's desperate to impress, even if it means manipulating her latest story - and the very idea of truth itself.

I've always loved journalism movies, so when I saw this film finally hit Netflix, I immediately downloaded it for my long flight. If you're going into this looking for someone to like, you will be disappointed. Both Mia and Diane suck. Especially Mia, who we spend all of our time with. Diane is an asshole, but Mia screws over so many people in this film that when karma finally catches up with her, I couldn't give her even an ounce of pity. It's a stark contrast to the last thing I saw Powley in, which was A Small Light, where she played the hero Miep Geis, who I would do anything for. 

Powley plays the part well. Mia knows she has to step on people to get to the top, and that she does. When she encounters the kind Igor (Jacob Tremblay) you think she might stop doing that. 

I was gripped from start to finish with this one. Even though these are not "good" people we're watching, they are interesting and I was constantly wondering whether or not Mia would do the right thing. My biggest complaint is that one of the side stories didn't get a very good resolution, and I wish the film would've devoted 10 or so extra minutes to that. 

Grade: B

Comments

  1. I think I have this in my Netflix watchlist. I might check it out eventually.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies