Review: Godzilla Minus One


Official Synopsis:
 Post-war Japan is at its lowest point when a new crisis emerges in the form of a giant monster, baptized in the horrific power of the atomic bomb.

I'm not sure I've ever kicked myself so hard for not seeing a film in theaters the way I did Godzilla Minus One. Life would just NOT work with me on that one, and I missed it. Now, after 84 years, the film is finally available to stream on Netflix. And I can see what all the fuss was about. 

At this point in the pop culture zeitgeist, I'm used to Godzilla teaming up with Kong and taking a nap in the Colosseum. This film reminded me that he's meant to be legitimately terrifying. His entrance into this film is so abrupt and creepy. Then he leaves, and we focus on the human story. One of found family, surviving post-war when your war isn't necessarily over, and love. I found myself getting so into that, that I almost forgot I was watching a Godzilla movie until he returns with a vengeance. 

The SFX team did a great job with their 15M budget. I feel like that was more about what their Oscar win was about. What you can do with a limited budget, vs all the magic you can make happen when you've got big studios backing you. At times it looks corny, but it feels like an intentional call back to the old Godzilla films. The most impressive part was his eyes. Godzilla's eyes in this film are going to give me nightmares. 

There is one thing I need to call out, and it's kind of spoiler-y, but I'll be vague. While there's no shortage of death in this film, there is one that is revealed to be a big fake out, and I wish I had known that going into the film because I spent a decent majority of it pissed off because of said death. I was legitimately grumbling internally and had I known that person would come back, I think it would've made the viewing experience slightly better, because when the film slowed down, all I did was stew about it. 

If you know what I'm talking about, I'd love to hear you how handled it, because I clearly didn't handle it with grace. Still, this is definitely worth your time, and I'm glad it's available to stream.

Grade: B+

Comments

  1. Now that it's on Netflix. I will definitely see it this month. I hope it's worth the hype.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finally saw this last week when it arrived on Netflix and I loved it! Amazing what they could do with less than $15 million budget!

    Now, about that 'fake' death... are you referring to Noriko who shows up in the end with the dark mark on her neck? Yeah I didn't see that coming but I didn't have a huge issue with it, I figured the filmmakers are setting things up for a sequel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! Here I was thinking she died for this dude and she was alive. I was so angry on her behalf for so long lol

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies