Review: The Teachers' Lounge


Official synopsis:
 When one of her students is suspected of theft, teacher Carla Nowak (Leonie Benesch) decides to get to the bottom of the matter. Caught between her ideals and the school system, the consequences of her actions threaten to break her.

I'm back! I was on a week long trip to visit family in Germany, so I watched quite a few movies to occupy me on my long flights. The first up is Germany's submission to this year's Oscars. One I had hoped to catch before the ceremony.

One film I did not expect to compare this to was 2012's Compliance. I feel like I've been thinking of that film a lot lately, but I will never re-watch it because if you know, you know. I feel similarly about this film. Carla makes so many stupid decisions, and yes I know *why* she's doing it, but it was so frustrating to watch. Nearly every problem in this film could've been solved with a simple conversation. And the film keeps building and building the tension, then ends in the most unsatisfying way possible.

It's not to say this is a bad a film. I think it's technically good. It's well acted, it kept me interested, it made me feel something, even if that something was genuine frustration. I just don't think this is a film I could ever watch again. 

Grade: C+

Comments

  1. Nope to this movie. The worst thing for me is a film that leaves me frustrated. You must have had a great time in Germany. My mom was born there, Wittenberg. So you mind of I ask where did you go? I so want to travel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! My family lives in Stuttgart. We flew into Frankfurt and spent some time there too.

      Delete
  2. I still want to see this though I'll keep my expectations low.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'll like it more than I did. I hope so anyways.

      Delete
  3. Hope you had a nice time in Germany! I've only been there once years ago with my late mother.

    I got a screener for this last year I believe but I kept putting off seeing it, maybe that's a good thing I didn't see it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did, thank you! I was surprised at how much it bothered me, I expected to love it. lol

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies