Review: Fallen Leaves


Official synopsis
: In modern-day Helsinki, two lonely souls in search of love meet by chance in a karaoke bar. However, their path to happiness is beset by obstacles - from lost phone numbers to mistaken addresses, alcoholism, and a charming stray dog.

I'm sure there's a name for films like Napoleon Dynamite, Eagle vs Shark, and now Fallen Leaves but I struggle to define them. "Deadpan comedy," "irreverent," "awkward." These three films have that in common. 

I wasn't expecting to dislike Fallen Leaves as much as I did. These type of movies that I previously mentioned just don't work for me. They come off as unfunny and low effort, and I know that is a minority opinion because those films both have a lot of fans. This film was even a Mubi exclusive, so clearly there is an audience for them, it's just not me. 

This film felt like a series of good ideas, but they couldn't settle on which one they wanted to bring to the forefront. It's thankfully short, so if you are curious enough to give it a watch, it won't take up too much of your time. Maybe it will be for you.

Grade: D

Comments

  1. I still want to see this because it's Aki Kaurismaki. He doesn't make conventional films as he is known for his deadpan sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Review: The Batman