Review: The Mattachine Family


Official Synopsis: 
While Thomas (Nico Tortorella) and Oscar (Juan Pablo Di Pace) are very much in love, after their first foster child returns to his birth mother, they find that they have different ideas about what making a family actually means.

This film gets its title from the Mattachine Society, and early US gay rights organization. The famed staircase dedicated to founder Harry Hay also makes an appearance. It's a fitting title for a film with plenty to say about the broad spectrum of gay relationships. Dealing with marriage, fertility, dating, adoption, and everything in betwenen.

Thomas is a photographer, he narrates the film from time to time against a series of photos he's taken. I really liked this touch. Thomas is a character who starts off not thinking too much about becoming a parent, then when it happens he realizes just how much it means to him. My heart always swells when I think of my own child, so I loved seeing that play out. 

This film just made me feel all warm and fuzzy. The actors have great chemistry - I didn't know just how much I needed Heather Matarazzo playing a bitchy lesbian mommy influenser in my life, but I did! Even if it checks some predictable boxes, I enjoyed myself. The Mattachine Family will be available on VOD tomorrow!

Grade: B

Comments

  1. I'll check this out when it's available on streaming for free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully one of the streamers picks it up! It deserves a wide audience.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies