Review: The First Omen


Official synopsis:
 A young American, Margaret (Nell Tiger Free) woman is sent to Rome to begin a life of service to the church, but encounters a darkness that causes her to question her faith and uncovers a terrifying conspiracy that hopes to bring about the birth of evil incarnate

I'll admit, when I first saw a trailer for this film, I rolled my eyes. WHY do we need a prequel to The Omen? Is there not something else we could write about? Well, here I am now, eating crow, because this film was a lot better than it had any right being.

Even though we know Damien is eventually going to be born, the film does very well with making the "how" of it a mystery. There's so much for Margaret to uncover. There were parts I found predictable, but even though I knew where it was going, I was still interested in seeing how the characters get themselves there.

Tiger Free is great in this role. It's very reminiscent of what she did in The Servant, but I liked that about this film since I never could finish that show. She was the perfect actress to play this part.

Is this ground breaking horror? No, but it's now available to stream on Hulu and if you were like me and wrote it off initially, give it a try. You might be surprised. 

Grade: B-

Comments

  1. I might check this out since this is also available on Disney+ (along with Ferrari which I hope to see next month) probably around Halloween season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This feels like something I should get to eventually--based on this, it might show up this Halloween for me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Review: The Batman