Blind Spot Series: Some Like It Hot


What I knew going in: That many Marilyn fans say this film is their favorite of hers.

Musicians Joe (Tony Curtis) and Jerry (Jack Lemmon) inadvertently witness the St Valentine's Day massacre and quickly try to leave town to avoid some mobsters from killing them as well. The only way out is to pose as women in a traveling band. They are "reborn" as Josephine and Daphne, they quickly befriend Sugar, (Marilyn Monroe) the naive singer in the band. They have trouble keeping their cover when Joe (out of disguise) tricks Sugar into thinking he's a millionaire and Jerry finds himself the object of a horny old perv's (Joe E. Brown) affection.

Marilyn Monroe is just someone that never interested me. I don't idolize her like a lot of women I know do. When I took public speaking in college, someone used a quote from her in a speech, and the entire class got into an argument over whether she actually said that or not. Clearly, Miss Monroe evoked a lot of emotions. After watching this film, I can almost see why, she was mesmerizing. This role felt like it was made for only her to play. Jack Lemmon was the film's stand out for me. (That and Joe E. Brown's face) I thought he was absolutely wonderful as Jerry/Daphne.

Some comedies don't hold up well over time, this one certainly does. (Even though some of it is probably unintentional) After reading some of the trivia on IMDb, this movie sounded like it was hell to shoot, but it doesn't translate that way on screen. This one was a lot of fun.

Recommended: Yes

Grade: A

Memorable Quote: "Hello, I'm Cinderella II" - Jerry (Jack Lemmon)

Comments

  1. I've heard that it's a really comedic and funny film and I've always meant to watch it! I know what you mean though, I've never fully understood the Marilyn hype (I'm an Audrey girl myself) but I think I'll have to watch more of her films to really get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one definitely makes it clear why so many love her. I couldn't imagine anyone else in this role.

      Delete
  2. It's a classic film all the way. It's very funny and I just love everything about it though I think The Apartment that is also directed by Billy Wilder is a better film. Jack Lemmon was my favorite thing about the film such as the scene where he's dancing with Osgood and eventually embraces the idea of being married to a guy.

    I think this is Marilyn's best performance as she has this charm and vulnerability that makes her engaging. And Kanye West dares to compare that ugly-ass Hobbit he knocked up to Marilyn? I'm insulted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh.. Kanye West.. I haven't seen The Apartment either. I will have to check that one out.

      Delete
  3. YAY! This is one of my favorite films ever! Monroe and Lemmon should have won Oscars for this...so in tune, perfectly charming and just 100% awesome here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did leave me with a really nice feeling. It's been my favorite Blind Spot so far.

      Delete
  4. Such a great comedy, though I haven't seen it in a while. Monroe is charming in it, and the writing from Wilder is what really sells it for me. The ending is pitch-perfect too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely! Sounds like a lot of fun. Adding it to my watchlist. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woo hoo! I love this movie. The last line makes me laugh every time. I'll second Steven's recommendation of The Apartment, which is just brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That one was great. I almost used that, but I seriously lol'd at the Cinderella one pretty hard.

      Delete
  7. I loved this movie, all the crazy antics and the love triangles and classic lines make for one exciting adventure.

    There is certainly this strange sort of charm you can find in a lot of the old Hollywood comedies. Another one you might enjoy if you get the chance is "Bringing Up Baby" with Katherine Hepburn and Cary Grant.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum