Indie Gems: The Kings of Summer


Who needs parents?

That's a popular attitude among teens. I know, I've been there. It's that attitude that gets the ball rolling in The Kings of Summer

Joe (Nick Robinson) is your typical angsty teen. His mother passed away some time back, and he doesn't get a long with his often dead pan father, Frank. (Nick Offerman) He convinces his best friend, Patrick (Gabriel Basso) to leave his clingy parents and come live with him in the woods. Free of all the adults in their lives, where they can live off the land and live like men. A new boy in town, Biaggio (Moises Aries) also tags along. But his parents apparently don't give a damn where he is.

This film came highly recommended by many bloggers, so like I was previously advised, I suspended most belief (like really, these kids are hiding out in a thicket that's within walking distance from their houses and NO one finds them?) I actually ended up enjoying it quite a bit.

It reminded me a bit of Mud, if the boys were older and more obnoxious to their parents. These kids really did a great job with their characters, and Nick Offerman obviously stole every scene he's in. I sometimes feel like I'm getting too old to enjoy "coming of age" films anymore. I expressed this in my Spectacular Now review, but when you run into a little gem like this, it doesn't matter what your age is. It's good enough for everyone to enjoy

Grade: B

Memorable Quote: "I decided to go with the Denzel Washington format. Black first name, followed by a state." - Biaggio (Moises Aries)

Comments

  1. This is pretty high on my "why didn't I rent this when it was at Redbox" list. I'll be seeing this soon though. Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I had never heard of it until a lot of bloggers started talking about it.

      Delete
  2. I love Kings Of Summer! It was my surprise film of last year in how much I enjoyed it. I actually didn't realize it was a comedy at first, but I found it hilarious. Biaggio was my favorite character... he was hysterical!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't believe it was that little kid from Hannah Montana. It took me forever to realize where I had seen him before, the kids I work with used to watch that show all the time.

      Delete
  3. Good review Brittani. Thought it was a little too cool for its own good and because of that, I didn't really like these characters. However, when I saw it during the summer, I couldn't help but be just a little bit happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's kind of making me long for summer now.

      Delete
  4. Moises Aries??? That little dude from Hannah Montana??

    uhm... I mean... Moises Aries? Sounds vaguely familiar... You peeked my interest, Brittani :D Excited now. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked this movie, Offerman should seriously appear in every single comedy out there, his reaction to that weird kid getting bit by the snake ('oh Jesus, kid, you're really letting yourself go!') was priceless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was so perfect for this role. I loved the beginning when he's complaining about his kid taking too long in the shower.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum