Indie Gems: Enough Said

Hey, go watch this movie about some 50 year old divorcees. 

Sounds interesting right? If you're me, then probably not. Nonetheless, I decided to check this one out since I've been loving Julia Louis-Dreyfuss on Veep lately, and for the recently departed James Gandolfini.

Eva (JLD) is a masseuse who hasn't really gotten back into the dating game since she's been divorced. Her only child is about to leave for college, and at a party she meets Albert, (Gandolfini) another divorcee with a child leaving for college. He's not her type right away, but they bond. Eva also unknowingly bonds with his ex, Marianne, (Catherine Keener) not putting two and two together until late in the game.

This movie was just so damn charming. I never thought in a million years that I would enjoy something like this. I loved the relationship that Eva had with her daughter and her daughter's friend (even though the latter is probably not the healthiest) It feels like we don't see things like that often in film anymore. Not to mention JLD and Gandolfini have tons of chemistry. The film can be a little bitter at times. Eva gives Albert a lot of crap for his eating habits and "belly" and knowing James Gandolfini died of a heart attack just makes that hard to swallow. I actually found myself getting really offended during those scenes.

Either way, on paper to me, the film doesn't sound interesting, but I was pleasantly surprised and it has become one of the sweetest things I've seen in a long time.

Grade: A-

Memorable Quote: "What about us? What about protecting us." - Albert (James Gandolfini)

Comments

  1. I just LOVED this movie! Gandolfini's Oscar snub still stings, as does his passing. You're 100% right, this is a charming film through and through.

    The film was shot before Gandolfini died, and the comments about his weight were crucial to the film's progression, so I understand why they didn't cut them. For me, the film was more of a reminder of HOW talented he was and how much range he possessed. Most people think of him as a tough mobster and nothing else, but this film showed him in the perfect light.

    Check out my review for this. You can find my link on the review page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, there was no Tony Soprano here at all. He was great. I think he would've had a better chance if the Supporting Actor race hadn't been so crowded this year.

      Delete
  2. I really enjoyed this film as I'm a fan of Nicole Holofcener's work and I was glad she created another winner with this film which I think is her most accessible feature to date. Especially for the stuff with Julia Louis-Dreyfus and James Gandolfini as I'm bummed that he's gone. I would've love to see him do a cameo in Veep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How great would it have been if it he cameoed as the President? If they ever decide to show that character.

      Delete
  3. YES! charming, genuine and so relatable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really was a sweet movie, wasn't it? I wish Gandolfini had been nominated.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum