Spin Off Blogathon


The always lovely Lady Sati over at Cinematic Corner is hosting her first ever blogathon! If we could pick a background character from any film, and give them a film of their own, who would it be? I'll have to turn to my all time favorite film for this one. Thanks for hosting, Sati!

I picked Barbara Fitts from American Beauty.




Barbara is the epitome of a meek housewife. She seems dazed, uninterested, she's probably terrified of her strict husband at times. Who knows how she ended up with him in the first place?

Let's assume she leaves this marriage after Frank shoots Lester. The original ending of American Beauty had Ricky and Jane going on trial for Lester's murder. Barbara knows it's Frank, and seeing her only son being persecuted for his crime is the one thing that pushes her over the edge. Yet she's too afraid to speak the truth.

The movie would be about her journey to happiness. Barbara was a spit fire before she got married and now that's she's free, she can take the world head on. Perhaps she loses the mousy look and gets make over.




She wouldn't marry again but she finds someone that adores her. Someone who likes bacon and will wear a raincoat in bad weather without her asking. Someone who shares similar interests. Someone that she can laugh WITH when she watches TV with them on a quiet night at home. Of course, since it's me, the movie would have it's darker moments where she has to cope with her son being in jail. But at the end of the film, she will get the courage to come forward and tell the police that it was actually Frank. That she buried his bloody clothes, and that she didn't say anything because she was afraid. Her testimony would ensure her no jail time, just probation, so she can still enjoy her new life and have Ricky to share it with too. However Frank has disappeared, so he never gets tried.

I would watch an entire movie on Barbara just to insure her happiness, because even though she was only in a few scenes, I really felt for this woman. 



Comments

  1. Great choice Brittani! I really like this one. Barbara was the epitome of the repressed woman. What would she have been like had Frank gone to jail? I never thought about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. American Beauty is very high up my watchlist and as I advance with House of Cards, I get all the more eager to see it. But even without having seen the movie, your spin-off sounds interesting. Awesome stuff, as per usual, Brittani ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you love it as much as I do! It truly is my favorite film.

      Delete
  3. Great choice! I had you pegged for someone from this movie :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is an awesome idea for a spin-off as I really like Allison Janney.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is an interesting choice! I haven't seen American Beauty in so long. Now I feel like I need to go back and watch it again so I can see your POV.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a great idea! This movie is filled with so many rich characters you can spin a stand alone movie about, but this is an awesome choice - I'd love to see Janney lead a movie, I've never seen her do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, she's usually supporting. I can't even think of one off the top of my head where she was truly the lead.

      Delete
  7. Ooh, nice pick! I really need to rewatch American Beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. God, it would be great to see a happy Barbara. Janney really did remarkable work in that film, I'd love to see a whole flick shaped around her. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Janney was fantastic in that little part.

      Delete
  9. I haven't seen the film, but the premise of your film was great and interesting. I'd go see this one! Plus it's Allison Janney, who is always amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You haven't seen American Beauty? GO SEE IT NOW!!! lol

      Delete
  10. I really like the idea of a spin off for this woman, but I do not predict a happy outcome for this person. I'm glad that you do,and it would be great if she did have a happy ending. but I picture her becoming like the mom from "We Need to Talk about Kevin". Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, no need to be sorry. That actually makes perfect sense as well.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum