Indie Gems: Afternoon Delight

Boredom. 

Rachel (Kathryn Hahn) is a bored yet privileged housewife. She used to work, but she quit when she had a baby, who's now 5. Because of this, she doesn't feel she fits in with the other moms in her PTA group. She never has sex with her husband, Jeff. (Josh Radnor, who's uninteresting douchiness actually fits well in his role for a change) After a trip from a friend, they decide to spice things up and go to a strip club. There she meets a dancer, McKenna. (Juno Temple) Rachel is enamored by her and automatically thinks she needs to "save" her from this life, despite the fact that McKenna seems pretty okay with her line of work. After semi-stalking her, Rachel invites her to move in with her family.

Kathryn Hahn is pretty fascinating. She's always been kind of a background character in comedies that's given juicy one liners (Step Brothers, for example)

In this film, she proves she's far more than that. Especially when Rachel isn't likable at all. I actually felt far more sympathy for McKenna, even though we're clearly meant to side with Rachel. In the end, I was actually really upset about how Rachel uses McKenna. Normally, you'd hate a movie like that, right? Nope. Hahn is so damn good that the whole thing remains interesting through out. I really hope this film gets her more roles, because she really was wonderful. As was Juno Temple. Anyone who reads this blog knows I'm a big fan of hers, and she keeps turning out these wonderful little independent films. She's bound to get noticed by Oscar voters sooner or later. The most impressive thing to me was that Josh Radnor didn't totally suck for once. That's fucking shocking.

Afternoon Delight did falter a little at times. (Who let a masturbating joke about The Accused in there? Seriously?) But it's a good little film that deserves a watch, especially if you're ready for Hahn to break out of the background.

Grade: B+

Memorable Quote: "Oh, I'm a sex worker." - McKenna (Juno Temple)

Fun Fact: This topped Quentin Tarantino's "Favorite Films of 2013" list. If you're a fan of his, I think you can pick out the scene that probably sealed the deal.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Juno is wonderful. I liked Lynch in this too. She played a really similar role in A.C.O.D, and she's far better here.

      Delete
  2. Oh I love Hahn! I'm totally using that Step Brothers image in my Rambling Friday if Stannis beheads a wilding like we talked about ^^

    I'm gonna see it soon - sounds awesome and I'm curious about that scene Tarantino must have loved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Perfect reaction pic for that.

      You can probably guess that feet are involved in Tarantino's favorite scene.

      Delete
  3. An obvious QT reference?! I had no idea. Now I have to see this ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very obvious to me which scene Tarantino probably loved.

      Delete
  4. I forgot all about this film! I'll have to give it a look.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum