DVD Review: The Impossible

There is good in people.
 
The Impossible is based on a true story of a family of tourists effected by the 2004 Indian Ocean Tsunami. Maria and Henry Bennett (Naomi Watts and Ewan McGregor) are vacationing in Thailand with their three sons, Lucas, Thomas, and Simon (Tom Holland, Samuel Joslin and Oaklee Pendergast) They're poolside at their resort when the tsunami hits with no warning. Henry grabs hold of Thomas and Simon, but Lucas and Maria are too far away. They find each other washing away in the waves. Maria is gravely injured, with the help of strangers, she and Lucas eventually make their way to a local hospital. We know by the trailer that this family is eventually reunited, but this film is to show us their ordeal, and the good in the people that helped them.
 
Performance wise, Naomi Watts blew me away. I was rooting for Jennifer Lawrence all during Oscar season because I loved Silver Linings Playbook so much, but after finally catching The Impossible, I daresay that Naomi's performance was stronger, more devastating, and easily more vulnerable. Perhaps she should've been the one with that golden statue? Ewan McGregor was fantastic as well, especially during a scene where he's speaking with a family member on the phone. The children were wonderful as well, particularly Holland, who we spend the most time with.
 
I think this movie gets an unfair amount of hate. Some hate that the actors weren't Spanish, like the real family. Some hate that they were "flown away on a private jet" at the end of the movie, despite it obviously being a medical plane to another hospital and your basic travel insurance would get you that. Some hate that this one family was singled out when so many other families did not have such a lucky outcome. Well you know what? None of that is the point. The point is that even in the event of a disaster like this, there's still hope. People, even complete strangers will come together and help each other because that is what humans should be doing. Telling this one story doesn't take away from the horrors thousands of have suffered, but this one story gives us hope. It's like some people are offended by a happy ending.
 
If I had to be critical of one thing about this movie, it would be that the score is completely melodramatic at times. That's my one complaint.
 
Recommended: Yes
 
Grade: A-
 
Memorable Quote: "I saw Daniel again..he was so happy." - Lucas (Tom Holland)

Comments

  1. Oh that movie made me bawl so hard. During that phone scene I completely lost my shit. I agree the complaints and the whining are so ridiculous, the point of the movie was to show the family's tragedy and that love and hope brought them together, who gives a shit what is their nationality, the story was supposed to be universal and it was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ewan killed that scene! That was so hard to watch. I cried when they found that little boy at the beginning, I cried when they lost him, and I cried when he found his father. I was a mess during this one, I'm glad I watched it alone. lol

      Delete
  2. A little tacky by the end, however, still an emotional trip because it makes you care for this family and the circumstance that they may never see one another again. Good review Brittani.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! What did you think was tacky at the end? The medical plane?

      Delete
  3. I have to admit that I don't think I could see this one as I'm afraid I'd have a mental breakdown. The tsunami affected my home country Indonesia greatly, and though it's not what the film is about it'd just hit too close to home for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I understand. It certainly showed the devastating effects, but it also showed how kind and caring complete strangers are to each other. I found that uplifting.

      Delete
  4. I cried like a very small girl. And that was when I was at my best.

    I thought this movie was incredible, but I will never watch it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I'll ever be watching this one again either. I think I cried pretty consistently throughout the whole thing.

      Delete
  5. Great review. LOVE this movie. I bawled, and I rarely do that in a film.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum