Indie Gems: Wreckers

Dysfunctional family dramas
 
Awhile ago I was complaining that Netflix Instant made a suggestions list for me and titled it "Dysfunctional Family Dramas." I was all "psshh my taste isn't THAT depressing." Well, after Wreckers I can totally see why the compiled that list for me, this was pretty damn dysfunctional.
 
Dawn (Claire Foy) and David (Benedict Cumberbatch) are newly-weds that move back into David's child hood town. They are fixing up a farm house, and are trying to start a family. One day, David's brother Nick (Shaun Evans) shows up, and Dawn questions why she's never met him before. He and David seem awfully close.
 
Ambiguous is another word that comes to mind when thinking of this movie, there's quite a bit of things that are left for you to decide. In fact, it's ambiguous to the point of almost being lazy, but I still found this little gem very interesting. Especially for Cumberbatch, like 95% of the internet, I'm oddly fascinated by this man*, frighteningly subtle. He's loving and caring, but you know he's capable of completely losing his shit. The look on his face in the final scene of this movie is perfection, and once you've seen it, you will know what I'm talking about.
 
I didn't read any reviews of Wreckers prior, but I saw a lot of complaints on Netflix of the movie being slow, I didn't think that was an issue. 
 
Grade: B
 
Memorable Quote: "No...it's me." - David (Benedict Cumberbatch)
 
 
*I'm continually surprised with how much I like Cumberbatch when I consider that HE WAS SO FUCKING CREEPY IN ATONEMENT!
 


Comments

  1. Excellent review! I love the phrase "ambiguous to the point of almost being lazy." This movie -- particularly Cumberbatch's character -- does sound intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true. They leave so much up to the imagination that I kept thinking a few extra lines of dialogue would've solved that. I don't think a film should have to spell everything out, but sometimes they have to throw us a bone here.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum