Review: Gravity

You're not afraid of heights? You are now...
 
I kept telling myself the entire time I was watching Gravity, "thank God I'm not an astronaut." Free floating in space and hanging off the side of a satellite looks fucking terrifying.
 
Astronaut Matt (George Clooney) and medical engineer Ryan (Sandra Bullock) are in space on a mission. They're fixing part of a telescope on Hubble when they get word that debris from nearby satellite, shot down by the Russians will be coming their way. When it does, they're hit. Ryan is knocked away from the others and finds herself spinning further and further away.
 
I daresay that Gravity might be the most visually stunning movie I've ever seen. I complain about 3D quite often, I don't need shit jumping out at me, but as much as I hate to admit it, it DID contribute to how marvelous everything looked during this film. I can hardly describe the way it was filmed, It almost felt a little too real. I suddenly got nervous about heights, or gasped when things would crash on screen. It really is a surreal experience. Even the reflections of certain things off of the character's helmets were breathtaking.
 
Honestly, Gravity is damn near perfect for what it's trying to accomplish. My biggest gripe was that it was Sandra Bullock we had to watch most of the time, and not George Clooney. I had hoped it would've been the other way around. That's seriously the only downfall. I don't care much for her as an actress, and she's definitely not bad in this film, I would've rather had hers and Clooney's roles switched around. But that's a personal opinion, and I won't stop me from experiencing this film again. (Because that was what this film really was. Not a viewing, but an experience.)
 
Recommended: Yes
 
Grade: A-
 
Memorable Quote: "I hate space." - Ryan (Sandra Bullock)

Comments

  1. Nice review Brittani. I didn't much care for the script, but that's where the visuals came in and just overtook me. Still, something felt like it was missing in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, this is definitely a visual movie. It honestly overshadows everything else.

      Delete
  2. I felt that Bullock was leagues better than Clooney, who didn't do anything but tell a few jokes. He's stuck in this 'let's play my charming self all the time' routine, whereas Bullock completely stripped herself of all her usual charm and awkward likability to create a real woman. This is by far her finest performance. I was blown away.

    But, I'm with you on being so glad I'm not an astronaut. Space is TERRIFYING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that this is probably her best performance. Yes, space IS terrifying! If given the opportunity to go, I'd turn it down. I like Earth. haha

      Delete
  3. Yeah I'll take Clooney over Bullock any day, but that's just because he is so damn gorgeous :) I hope I'll see it this weekend, this looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really did think the movie was supposed to be about him finding her. He's still got plenty of charming parts.

      Delete
  4. I like both actors, but I prefer Clooney too. Still, I thought Bullock nailed her performance, and I would've preferred to see less of Clooney in this case.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the review, am impatiently waiting to see it. I'm not a fan of Bullock but I adore Clooney so I predict a similar trail of thought heheh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I can't seem to jump on the Bullock bandwagon. How she won an Oscar over Gabourey Sidibe still baffles me.

      Delete
  6. Great review Brittani! I love how visually stunning Gravity is but also has a lot to offer in terms of emotional involvement. That's tough to do in any film, let alone a sci-fi set entirely in space! Ahah yeah that "I hate space." quote is definitely memorable and I remember chuckling when I heard that, nice touch of irony there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I were in her position, I would've said that line more than once.

      Delete
  7. yes it is pretty spectacular. but i love how minimal it is. it's not flashy. it's very very simple and beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review. So excited to see this one!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum